Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Hull w/ Buddy Miles...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Slater, May 4, 2003.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I was listening to some old Buddy Miles (from 1970, I believe?) and now I think David Hull is going to be my new hero for a while. :cool:

Discuss...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks for the links :) . I have already visited those sites. I checked out David's credits on the AMG.

4. invisaman75

invisaman75

Feb 7, 2008
    Ever since Buddy Miles passed away I have been think about how much David Hull influence my playing in my early years. If you never heard him try to find Buddy Miles "Live" album from 71(?). David Hull is burning (and Charlie Karp) on this recording.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Billy Rich also did some great groovin' in the early Buddy Miles bands, he was the bassist when I saw them back in the day. Those albums still sound great!

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Oh man..... When?

I love the Band Of Gypsies album....

Aj

7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    About a month ago.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    "The Fillmore is Proud to Welcome Back Some Old Friends With a Brand New Name"........

RIP

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Another kinda side note, Buddy always seemed to have killer bass players, in the 90's he was doing projects with Bootsy and Bill Laswell, and recently had Doug Johns.

10. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Man, I am going to bring this thread up again. I was just blown away with Hull's playing on "Live" on my way to work this morning. If he was that good as a youngster, I'll have to check out some of his recent work.

Anyone know what kind of bass and strings he was playing on the Buddy Miles Live album? It sounds fantastic--punch, cut, rumble, and lots of notes with taste (the last, nothing to do with the bass, of course).

11. HashbrownCOBM

HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    Kind off topic. Saw Buddy play about 10 years ago at First Ave and he got REALLY big. Like 500 pounds big. Needed a cane and everything. So he was playin the drums for a while then got up front and sat on a stool and played guitar for about a half hour straight (one song). Based on the way he played you could tell who gave him lessons (jimi). Then as he got up to get off the stool it stuck to his ass. I was so embarrased for him cuz he was such a sweet heart. Talkin to the crowd in between songs n'stuff. Like just havin a conversation. Then I noticed his bass player was playin through what almost looked like a pig nose amp. It was a little bigger but not by much. I was like How the hell do you hear your self? He pointed at the monitors. Oooooooh. Duh. But a great show. He still had it. I miss my records.
    Oh and if you ever see a buddy/santana record, do not buy it. It's gawd awful. So disappointed.

12. jjba

jjba

Feb 17, 2010
    Rotosound.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Necrothread returns - because this guy ruled back then. Really had grooves and interesting parts that covered the entire neck. Meanest fuzz bass around too! - or at least in the running with Larry Graham!

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Another quality soundstage live thing from Europe with pretty amazing sound quality for the period.

15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    What a trip to see David so young there; and already such a great player.

:bassist:

16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Didn't David recently fill in with Aerosmith?

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Tecamp Bass Players Gear, Bartolini Emerging Artist
    David Hull is the bomb. His playing on Down by the River (Buddy Miles Live) is just as good as Jamerson doing his motown thing. He should be studied as part of any bass curriculum.