Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

david izenson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by klepto, Nov 20, 2004.

1. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    does anyone know anything about this guy?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    A brilliant bassist who was an expert with the bow, David Izenzon's playing with the mid-'60s Ornette Coleman Trio was outstanding. He did not start playing bass until he was already 24. Izenzon worked locally in Pittsburgh until moving to New York in 1961. He played with Paul Bley, Archie Shepp, Sonny Rollins, and Bill Dixon, and first joined Coleman's group in October 1961. Izenzon freelanced after Coleman's 1962 Town Hall concert, and then played regularly with the innovative altoist during 1965-1968. He taught at Bronx Community College (1968-1971), played with Perry Robinson and Paul Motian, gained a PhD in psychotherapy (1973), and worked again with Coleman and Motian in 1977, before his early death.
    ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    His arco work was incredible, check out Ornette Coleman Live atThe Golden Circle Vols 1 & 2 to hear some of his best stuff. He also is on a gorgeous Sonny Rollins recording with Jim Hall, and with Bob Cranshaw also playing bass.
    I believe he also worked professionally as a symphony bassist, although I could be wrong about that.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't know about gigging as a legit player, but that was his educational background. David Walter has a nice story about Izenzon meeting Ornette for the first time, it's in DOUBLE BASSIST two issue interview with Walters...

5. bhagiti

bhagiti

Mar 10, 2005
    NW Ohio
    Old post to dig back into, but Izenzon is worth mentioning again.

There's a discography of his work here

John Lindberg (bassist with the String Trio of New York, a former pupil of David's) recorded a tribute record. Soundclips here

Izenzon also held a degree in psychotherapy (inspired after the birth of his son, unfortunately born with brain damage) and actually worked professionally in the psychiactric community, even publishing a book entitled "Emotions".

Eric

6. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Just picked up a copy of the DVD reissue of Rhapsody Films' "Davis, Moffet & Ornette"... a documentary by Dick Fontaine covering the trio's scoring/recording of the soundtrack to a French short film.
    The opening montage features some gorgeous footage of Izenzon wheeling his bass around the streets of Paris, circa 1966... Not to mention his fantastic arco playing.