1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

David J of Bauhaus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DoomandHeavy, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I can't be the only one that totally digs this guy's playing! From what I've read. he's really influenced by funk and dub stuff, which makes sense when you really listen to his basslines. Every line on In the Flat Field is memorable, but that repetitive, pummeling, bass riff on "Double Dare" really takes the cake for me. I feel a lot of the gothic/post-punk/art rock/whatever you call this stuff bassist get overlooked in favor of more flashy guys of the time, but you simply can't beat David J's barbaric simplicity!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    I love him. I like simon from the Cure.
    I was a teenager in the 80's this stuff if you really wanna label it
    PRE GOTH? its from the late 70's early 80's
    Like Bowie doing Ziggy Stardust era
    I can hear some disco in his playing as well

3. Simon kicks ass too!! I generally just call it goth, and I always get confused on what to call everything as I've heard Ziggy era called just about everything, hahaha!

Just did a little research and found this

Gear
    Basses: Fretless '72 Fender Precision; hybrid fretless with '78 Fender Precision neck and unknown body; medium-gauge D'Addario Chromes flatwounds Rig Ampeg SVT-4PRO head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet
    Effects Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay, Boss Fuzz, Boss DS-1 Distortion, Guyatone MC-3 Micro Chorus, Eclair Engineering Evil Tube DI

"I set the echo units to different settings and experiment onstage. I get this great feedback tone by combining the fuzz and the reverb delay. And it's always different. It's a bit wild, but you can direct it-a bit of lightning caught in a jar."

Knew he used a fretless!!! Hahaha!

4. Scabz

Scabz

Jul 24, 2011
    Philadelphia,PA
    im a huge fan of his sound, growing up him and gallup were my fav players.

5. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Big influence for me as a teenager, Bela Lugosi's Dead and their version of Ziggy Stardust were the first songs I ever performed live when I was 17 in 1987!

6. That's awesone!! I'd kill for a band that would want to jam these songs!! Hahaha!

7. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    I used to listen to this Killing Joke album someone gave me and my cousin who I started playing with (him guitar me bass) He was metal I was punk. He's freaking out one day
    "that song you listen to that band, on Metallica Garage days..."
    They covered The Wait
    tons of good stuff from then

8. Hahahaha! I have a bunch of metalhead buddies that got into Killing Joke from that cover, along with Discharge a few others that got covered on that record.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    David J is one of my all time favorites. I have a very extensive and fairly complete Bauhaus related collection...and have been lucky enough to see them a few times. He's also a super nice guy if you ever get a chance. I quite enjoy his solo albums as well.:)

What you may not know is that much of Bauhaus' lyrics were written by him including Bela. He also did much of the graphic design and artwork for the band. Him and his brother really make a unique and moving rhythm section.

10. The bass riff in "Kick in the Eye" is just unbelievably great. Especially the bridge/middle section...gives me chills.

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I was a bigger Love & Rockets fan- Bauhaus was just too stylized for me to handle as a teenager. I was kind of scared of Peter Murphy, maybe. I got into Love & Rockets and the Church in the exact same trip to the record store, so I always think of them together.

I actually saw David J busking in Harvard Square a few years back. He had a show at the Middle East that night and felt that it hadn't been properly promoted, so he just grabbed an acoustic and hit the streets. SUPER nice guy, very happy to talk to anybody who knew who he was. I was totally psyched to bump into him. He looked totally like David J!

getbent likes this.
  12. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    He's one of my favs. Saw Peter Murphy at the Belly Up and wish David J was playing with him, albeit David was in the crowd and Peter acknowldged it. Guess he's living in SoCal somewhere these days.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've bought many a Bauhaus single or album in Harvard Square, back when I was growing up, and back when there were decent used record stores. he signed one of his recent singles for me as well.

His bass playing is a very unique and identifiable part of Bauhaus, with that fretless Precision and the way he phrases. A lot comes out of them listening to reggae (Bela Lugosi is a dub song once you strip away some of Daniel Ash's sound).

And Peter Murphy is actually a nice guy too. He's been doing a bunch of meet and greets lately and I saw him in Rochester in a small theater this past fall. Fun show (I've seen him many times) but it was a small crowd.

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think my fear of Peter Murphy came form his appearance in the movie "The Hunger"- the Bowie and Catherine Denouve film. Freaked me right out as a young lad!

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    He's even creepier in some of the early Bauhaus performances. One of the things I like is that I think they're a very fun and funny band and many times that flies right over people's heads. If you watch some of the old videos, say of them performing Rosegarden Funeral of Sores you can see that they're finding it outrageously funny while they're playing.

16. I never knew that, but I'm glad they don't take themselves too seriously. That's one of the worst pitfalls a musician, or a person really, can fall into.

17. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I've met David J a few times, and yes, is is a charming gentleman of a guy (and really skinny!).
    I loved Bauhaus and Love and Rockets, and you can definitely hear that influence in my band The New Creatures. But as much as I love them and David's playing, I always thought his live fretless playing to be a bit sloppy. (don't shoot me! I say this with respect!)

18. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Fretless Precision with flats, great tone. I saw them in the early 80's and they were great. The 2006 album, Go Away White had some great tunes and bass playing on it too.

Jonithen likes this.
  19. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    The Bauhaus reunion live album "Gotham" really captures their live sound in the best light.
    I was at that concert in NYC, it was really really good.