Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David King Bass thread!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meltsakana, Mar 19, 2004.

1. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Hey everyone! Because David hasn't updated his website in 7 months or so, let's fill this thread with talk of his basses, pictures of them, and any information you have about David's work in progress at this time! I'll start!

Here's my bass, built by David around 9 months ago.
    [​IMG]

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    with out a doubt a very under-rated builder, which maybe by choice. He does amazing work!

This is one I had some time ago...

[​IMG]

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He lives about 20/25 minutes away from me. I really should see if I could stop by his shop some time. Seems pretty knowledgable from what his website conveys.

That, and I do like his work. Some of the only headless basses I like consistently (the others being Le Fay). I hear they're absolute butter.

(Heck I really should get out, period. Bee Basses is an hour from here, Benavete is about 2, and quite a few others...)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Never played one, but I've written to David, and he's an extremely nice guy. Beautiful basses.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My favorite King shape:

[​IMG]

What I like about the headless system he has is that it's got that flared cap on the end, so your hand doesn't slide off the neck in first postion, which is about my only reserve on most headless basses.

Truely nice basses.

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A friend of mine had one and, as someone already said, it truly did play like butter (and sounded incredible). I thought about odering one, but I don't care for headless basses, and I could never quite warm up to his body styles.

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    David is indeed a super nice and very knowledgable guy.
    His basses look killer and are made with incredible attention to details.

I'm lucky enough to chat with him very often.

Peace,
    JP

8. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Not fortunate enough to have a King bass, but a couple years ago we emailed back and forth quite a bit while I was putting together a bass from parts, super guy.

9. I have visited his website and I must say that these basses look absolutely intriguing. Great designs!

Geoff

10. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    samdi (d king) is a good man .. spent time with johnny morch in denmark .. david definitely knows ..

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    samdi (Mr King) posted at bunny bass and I always liked what he had to say. He knows alot of stuff and is very nice. I didnt always agree with him about amps and cabs but his bass building skills are top notch. Good person!

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've always been interested in David's instruments. They are definately my favorite of the headless breed. Does anyone know if he's done a bolt-on bass before? I've only seen neckthrus which I don't like.

13. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I like David's D type best, I like the look and the balance is superb. I've tried other headless designs like Kubicki and Status, David's balance much better and are more comfortable to play. I love my Zebrawood 5 string, the pickups on the 4 string don't quite sound like I want them to so I'm going to try some other brands.
    [​IMG]

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That Zebrawood one is absolutely amazing. This is making me wanna head over to Dave's shop here this week (spring break!).

15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

That red ash is NICE!! what are the p'ups??

16. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Delano pickups. It's a real rockin sound! I'd love to experiment with the bass, but it sounds so good, I don't wanna change a thing! And in reality, the bass is a little browner kind of a color.

17. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    He says that the does bolt-ons if asked for, but prefers neck through construction.

18. Curious to know if there are other david king basses owners? is he still building basses?

19. callowhill

callowhill

Nov 7, 2005
    David's work is amazing. I had a bass of his in my shop about a year ago for a quick check-up. Jaw dropping. I can usually find faults in work done by industry giants with no effort. David's work is a hallmark of perfection regarding form and function. He makes some killer custom knobs as well...

20. I owned a wenge/zebrawood D-bass 5 with a 36" scale--amazing instrument! I'm fairly sure David is still building, and I've seen him posting on the MIMF (Musical Instrument Makers Forum) fairly regularly.

Mike