Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David LaBruyere - John Mayer's Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Heavy_E, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I have been listening to the new John Mayer CD (Live performance in Birmingham). David LaBruyere is a jamming bassist. I am really liking the groove...

Anyone out there ever see this guy play or have any opinion?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The only thing that makes me doubht the guy is that my guitarist swears by his bass playing ability, which is enough to make me wonder how good is it really.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i saw mayer at the ryman in nashville last year.

the group was killer!!

david tore it up!

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out the DVD that came out at the same time the live album came out......that band can play!!!
    They stretch the songs out, and everybody gets a chance to play....especially the song'Neon".

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I downloaded a live acoustic video of Your Body is a Wonderland where John Mayer and David LaBruyere played together side by side. David can really groove, brotha!

6. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I've got that DVD, Any Given Thursday. I watch it frequently. Great band! Great music! Great bass player!

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He comes up with some very melodic but unobtrusive lines. Reminds me a little of Roscoe Beck.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    David also reminds me of the excellent bassist Chris Maresh who plays with Eric Johnson, Monte Montgomery, and everybody else out of Austin! Great player....very melodic, while still grooving...and can solo like a motherf*&cker. If you play like these guys.....you will never be out of work:bassist:

9. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I have been watching and listening to the "Any Given Thursday" DVD and CD... Check out the Bass line while John is playing the long solo in "Covered in Rain" and in "Neon". WOW... I cannot get enough of this... This is the kind of band I want to play in...

-Heavy_E :p

10. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Gotta agree he's a great bassist. Comes up with great lines for this style of music. I really appreciate players like this. Perhaps he's also a chops monster, but restraint and playing for the song are definitely talents he has.

Pino Palladino also comes to mind (with Don Henley on "New York Minute", Julia Fordham's "Porcelan" album, Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing".

Dan

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    actually I'm listening to room for squares RIGHT NOW! BUT I like the live DVD the best. someone said he was voted "best unobtrusive bassist" somewhere. He plays smoothly with just enough notes to keep it interesting and not too many to draw attention to himself. "playing for the song" someone said, I like that term.

He makes playing bass look fun. I've forgotten it can be fun!

12. incubass68

incubass68

Jun 21, 2003
    el paso, tx
    Does anyone have any clue as to what he uses? On the CD his tone on "NEON" is absolutely killer. This guy is bad and has an awesome studio tone. I'm yet to see the DVD so I couldn't say anything about live sound.:bassist:

13. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i think he just has a fender jazz into an svt.

The only problem with his unobrrusive playing is that, at least on the concert on vh1 that i saw, he took a solo, and no one noticed.

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I have a few live John Mayer vids where David uses a PBass and some live ones where he uses a Jazz. Maybe he rotates them. He played Your Body is a Wonderland with both the P and J bass.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to dig this up, but I've been really impressed with Dayly's playing as well. He really provides some "driving" bass lines that give definitions to john mayer's songs. Great bassist who displays a lot of talent in an indirect way.

:)

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    You don't have to apologize for anything. I don't think we have alot of David LaBruyere discussions going on around here. The man is a very tasty player indeed and he knows when to step up(or down) as and when required.

17. mich1s

mich1s

May 4, 2004
    i gotta agree with heavy e's opener. i was press ganged into watching john mayer's dvd - guy's can be so childish when having to see another guy get all the girl attention, which i bet is half the reason most guys have a dig at him, but boy - the guy's bona fide - along with his band - specially dela!! it's been a while since i've been sitting the there rewinding and deconstructing anyone's playing - he just hits the right notes at the right time. my hat off to the man!

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very tastful player.
    the drummer kicks ass too. J.J. Johnson

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm gonna resurrect this thread...I think this man deserves more notoriety. Really great player, tasteful, and he really makes mayer's songs groove.

:cool:

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hell yeah, he's from San Antonio!!!

:D