Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Lindley

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by adam on bass, Jan 31, 2005.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Saw David Lindley again last night. The guy is freakin' amazing. If you have never seen him, heard him, or heard of him I would suggest doin' it. Oh, by the way he is not a bassist, he is a lap guitar and pretty much anything else with string's player. He played an Ude last night and it blew me away. His website. This is the Ude he played:

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Isn't that an oud? Certainly a member of the lute family, but not as much like a cittern as the newer lutes.

3. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I was guessing on spelling. Whatever it is it was super nice.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    David is an AMAZING musician.

...also a complete whacko.

(In the best way, of course :D)

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    whacko for sure. we got to hang out with him after the show. It's a cool kinda whacko.

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yes, I've seen him (with Jackson Browne) and he is amazing. In an interview in Guitar Player many years back he said that guitars should never be taken apart if at all possible, feeling that the sound would be affected in a negative way. I felt the eccentric/wacko vibe from that statement. :eyebrow:

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I used to have a couple of el rayo-x (i think) albums by him that were lots of fun

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Watspan, yeah, El-Rayo-X was cool as all heck man, great stuff!

:D

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I saw David Lindley about 9 years ago out of the blue, my boss was going to see him (he had moved from CA a few years ago and had seen him out there) and I was blown away from the start of the show. I was amazed at the amount of sound that could come from 2 people (him and Hani Naser, great percussionist!!!). I bought all both of the albums he was selling that night (Live in Tokyo and Playing Even Better) and soon after picked up the El-Rayo X albums (El-Rayo X, Very Greasy, and Live) and about 2 years ago caught him again with Wally Ingram (you have to love a drummer who uses a motorcycle hemet as a cymbal, and even sits on a box that is part of his drum set) and picked up the Twango Bango albums (also got turned on to Kaki King who was opening up for the Dave and Wally Show a bit before her first album came out. She's nowhere near as weird as Dave, but she's a great musicinan also). I can easily say that Lindley instantly became one of my favorite artists. If you're reading this, go to his web site and sign up, check the tour dates and when he's near you GO SEE HIM!!!! You will never make fun of your friends for wearing weird colors EVER again!!!

10. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    David and Wally really work well together. This time it was just him and it was incredible!

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I saw David Lindley & El Rayo X open for the Grateful Dead at the Laguna Seca Speedway back in '88. I don't remember much other than I liked the opening band.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The best concert I ever saw was David Lindley and Ry Cooder at the Orphium in Vancouver in the early 90's. Just the two of them together with no back up musicians. They each had about a dozen instruments behind them that they reached for throughout the night. The musicianship was incredible.

Saw him twice before in Vancouver and Ottawa respecitvely, in the early 90's.

If anyone was ever going to be successful at bringing back polyester, it's Mr.Dave.

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Not the best pic, and surprisingly most of the pics on his web site have rather band outfits, but this one is nice (and I'm sure MUCH brighter in person!!)

[​IMG]

And I don't remember anything in the shows that I saw that would explain this:

[​IMG]