Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Lucas Burge ear training course

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jan 8, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey eveyone, I have to course on my computer and I was wondering if it works? I havent done it yet and was wondering if its worth my time did you develop perfect pitch when you were finished?

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have the "Perfect Pitch" course. It confused me more than helped develop an understanding of what a certain pitch sounds like. Furthermore, he talks alot about Timbre. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Timbre = Harmonic Content (Overtones). From my understanding, pitch = frequency (eg 440 hz). Pitch and Timbre are two differnet things. Also, each instrument has it's own unique harmonic characteristic. A piano note has a different timbre to the same note played on a bass guitar.

I don't know. The course may have helped people to develop a better sense of hearing. Recently I've starting using pure tone sine waves to understand and recognise a certain pitches. Sine waves are sound waves with only the fundamental pitch sounding with no harmonic content. So a sine wave of 440hz is only 440hz, not 400+880+...

You can produce pure tone Sine Waves in Adobe Audition 1.5

3. According to all the research on the subject I've seen, and what I know of the course (not much, he's a little short on details) David Burge's course is pretty useless. He may have learned perfect pitch, but that doesn't mean he knows how to teach it to you.