David Lucas Burge ear training course

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Jan 8, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey eveyone, I have to course on my computer and I was wondering if it works? I havent done it yet and was wondering if its worth my time did you develop perfect pitch when you were finished?
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have the "Perfect Pitch" course. It confused me more than helped develop an understanding of what a certain pitch sounds like. Furthermore, he talks alot about Timbre. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Timbre = Harmonic Content (Overtones). From my understanding, pitch = frequency (eg 440 hz). Pitch and Timbre are two differnet things. Also, each instrument has it's own unique harmonic characteristic. A piano note has a different timbre to the same note played on a bass guitar.

I don't know. The course may have helped people to develop a better sense of hearing. Recently I've starting using pure tone sine waves to understand and recognise a certain pitches. Sine waves are sound waves with only the fundamental pitch sounding with no harmonic content. So a sine wave of 440hz is only 440hz, not 400+880+...

You can produce pure tone Sine Waves in Adobe Audition 1.5
  3. According to all the research on the subject I've seen, and what I know of the course (not much, he's a little short on details) David Burge's course is pretty useless. He may have learned perfect pitch, but that doesn't mean he knows how to teach it to you.