1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Lynch fans sound off!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrokern, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, after getting into a Lynch mindset in another thread, I don't think I've ever seen a thread for Lynch fans around here!

All you art film junkies, here's your chance...if you like being mentally violated like only Lynch can do, sound off!

Personally, I've seen the entire catalog. A couple of times. Sober and not.

-Mark

2. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    She's deeeaaad....

Wrapped in PLASS-TICK....

*enter euphoric soundtrack by Angelo Badalamenti*

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm a big fan. I like all his movies. Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart are my favorite. I also like his interpretation of Naked Lunch.

4. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Somehow I figured that Maki would be one of us. :D

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, I love all the ones that I've seen. (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Mullholland Drive, and most of Twin Peaks) Dune was terrible, but since he's stricken it from his record, I'll do the same thing.

What's really got me stoked is that he's collaborating with Werner Herzog, who is my all time favorite film director, on the 2010 film My Son, My Son. I'll be first in line for that, wherever it premieres.

What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?
    Heineken.
    Heineken? F--- that s---! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

A man after my own heart. :D

6. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I dig his stuff.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I remember as a teenager changing my, then paper, driver lic so that I could get in to see Eraserhead at the local rep movie theatre. Given that my brain was already 'altered' going in I was completely freaked out, repulsed, fascinated and couldn't stop watching the movie. Blue Velvet is a great film. I watched most of Twin Peaks as well although Bob scared the crap out of me.

8. Blue Velvet is my favorite!:cool:

9. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    He has taken me to very odd places within my own mind...............

10. HashbrownCOBM

HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    I seriously think he gets off on peoples confusion. Saw Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive in the theatre and I could have swore I saw Lynch in the back row masturbating to my confusion. I just don't get it.

11. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Blue Velvet is easily in my top 10 favorite films of all time. Perhaps even top 5.

Wild At Heart was pretty special too, I definitely dug it & years after having only seen it once in the theater when it first came out, I still find myself quoting lines from it & remembering characters vividly.

Naked Lunch worked. Dune didn't.

I loved the first season of Twin Peaks (the TV show), hated the second season, never saw the movie.

Haven't seen Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway or (amazingly) Eraserhead.

12. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just watched Lost Highway again a couple of weeks ago...I'd forgotten that Bill Pullman can be a decent actor when he wants to be! :p

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm a fan.

bc

14. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    count me in.

Loved the TP movie. Especially when I watched the pilot episode a few days later, and saw all the trivial bits that tied up.

Straight Story - loved the Lynch "line down road" shot (as seen in every other movie he made) in slo-mo!

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I also liked his documentary on R.Crumb. Although it helps to be a Crumb fan too.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm a fan.

Sincerely,
    The bottom of a bag of Doritos

17. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Two quick things of note:
    "Naked Lunch" was by David *Cronenberg* and the documentary "Crumb" was by the guy who did "Ghost World," Terry Zwigoff. I like both quite a lot.

Has anyone seen Lynch's "Inland Empire?"

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was thinking that wasn't David Lynch but I was too lazy to check for sure. It reminds me of how so many biting satirical essays that get passed around are attributed to Kurt Vonnegut. I guess every weird movie is now attributed to David Lynch. :smug:

bc

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've only seen Eraserhead and Elephant Man, both brilliant. Elephant Man, interestingly enough, is among the very short list of films that have made me tear up.

20. I was out of the country when Twin Peaks was on the TV.

When I got out of the Army, I was under the impression that "Northern Exposure" was Twin Peaks. I could not for the life of me understand what was so "cool" or "edgy" or "experimental" or "odd" about it- except for having moose walk down the street.

It wasn't until a year or so ago that I finally watched Twin Peaks. It was freakin' awesome.

I still dance like the Little Man From Another Place.