1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Minnieweather...Where is the Bass I Paid For?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassCigar, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassCigar

BassCigar

Dec 18, 2008
    I ordered this bass over 2 years ago and David Minnieweather has yet to deliver the product. I paid over $2500 for this bass and have yet to see it. No communication or contact from the builder. When he does answer the phone it's always a song and dance. WARNING.......Never buy from this builder! There are about 5 of us in the same boat that have been waiting for over 2+ years for our basses.

I will delete this post as soon as I receive my Bass.... but not a day sooner. This is a warning to anyone who ever considers having David Minnieweather build a bass for them!

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks for the report....... I might be in the market for 6 string jazz style bass and was considering him for it....bummer.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If work hasn't been done demand a refund. If he refuses then pursue legal efforts to get your money back.

Did you have a contract for your build? Assuming you paid all up front based on your post.

Have you pursued anything other than waiting 2 years and calling him on the phone? I know it seems obviously, but you're giving very few details to back up your complaint here.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I recall this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488227&highlight=Minnieweather

You may want to contact that jurisdiction's attorney (here in VA we have a Commonwealth's Attorney) and submit a complaint. I suspect they head up consumer affairs of this type or can steer you in the right direction.

Don't hesitate. If this cat has filed for bankruptcy or protection, you may not see your money for a long time....if ever.

Keep us up to date, friend.

Riis

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    As long as the guy doesn't disappear you have many legal actions assuming you have a reasonably well written, signed , receipt.
    Proabably worth having an attorney send over a quick registered letter to start the ball rolling.
    The longer you wait, the lower your chances of a positive resolution.

6. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    Whats the status of your bass?????????????????

7. ivlucas

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    Has anyone recieved their bass???? I see pics of mine on Facebook........ Wish I could have it back now that it is completed. I was promised it would be shipped a month ago.

8. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    ***? I am floored that you guys have had to deal with this. Has the luthier been ill or some tragedy befallen his family? Bad things can happen to good people. I hope that things take a turn for the positive and you all get your instruments very soon.

9. ivlucas

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    I know things will work out because I see the basses show up forsale so someone is getting theirs eventually?????

10. ivlucas

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    so true...... I didn't know about Ken Benbense until I told someone what was going on with my bass... then out of the blue someone writes me who paid for a bass and was supposed to have it weeks ago. No call, no email.... no nothing

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Even if something bad has happened, the man is running a business and has an obligation to explain what`s the deal to his customers and give them a choice of money back or to what it out.

12. ivlucas

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    I was thinking about hitting the buy it now button on the bass he has forsale on Ebay so he can wait for my money like im waiting for my bass

13. ivlucas

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BASS IS ON THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the tracking number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Well, that's good. Hope it will be worth the trouble.

15. Please post some pics so we can all see what is worth the wait.

16. Footie

Footie

Apr 2, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I'm having the same problem with Pavel. He still picks up the phone but I was expecting my bass about two years ago. I guess there have been some bad luck with his family which I'm sympathetic about but I'm out a bunch of money with nothing to show for it.

17. Zoinks. Y'all, if you need something else, I fully stand behind Rob Allen, Chris Stambaugh, Conklin, and Cliff Bordwell.

18. ivlucas

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    Footie..... man im sorry to hear that about Pavel...... I have done business with him and it worked out..... As far as other luthiers out there building quality instruments with outstanding customer service let me add Steve Kudela to the top list. I say this a lot because this is TALKBASS and I believe his instruments are underpriced for the quality you are getting. So while there are some guys doing a crappy job I want to commend those who do an excellent job

19. I'd add Michael Dolan's name to the list of good and reliable luthiers.

20. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Alan Cringean, Jon Shuker, ...The list of outstanding, above-board builders far outstretches the list of of shame!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.