David Schools with Mule

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ka-tet, Mar 31, 2001.

1. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I saw Gov't Mule last night and they had David Schools of Widespread Panic filling the big bass shoes left from the death of Allen Woody. I must say I was sad. Saddened by the fact that Woody wasn't there and never will be again and saddened from the terrible job Schools was doing. His tone was bad, his lines were lame, and he made too many mistakes. His timing wasn't good and he got lost in the middle of several songs only to be lead back to the one by a patient drummer, Matt Abts who had to count him back in. I remember going to a Mule show and just being mesmerized by how forceful and driving Woody was all the while being laid back as hell. Hearing Schools last night I was even more able to appreciate Woody and realize what a great loss his passing was. Don't get me wrong, the show was fantastic. Haynes and Abts were great as usual and Audly Freed(sp?) from Black Crowes who sat in on a few tunes was surprisingly good. Chuck Levell who's played with everybody was on keys and Organ all night and did OK. Schools is probably a fine bass player and not being a Widespread Panic fan I can't really comment but he just doesn't fit stylistically with Mule.