1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

David Sims (Jesus Lizard/Rapeman)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Anyone know what equipment he used, or if he picked or fingered? I think he's a good bassist :/

2. Last time I saw the Jesus Lizard, Sims was playing a Fender Jazz, looked to be a 70's model with the maple neck and inlays (not sure about those, it was a while ago). He had an Ampeg SVT head and Cab. He plays with a pick - it's like a scalpel for some serious surgical precision playing.

I'm also a fan of his. The Jesus Lizrd's rhythm section is tight machine! Their live shows were amazing. Sooo much better than the records.

Albini Fan, huh? I take it you must also like stuff like Shellac, June of 44, Don Caballero, etc, etc?

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Yeah :( I have a Big Black hoodie that I made myself, I wear it all the time :\ It was a surgeons scalpel? Anyone have a picture?

4. It was just a figure of speech - he didn't really play with a scalpel. :D :D I was just trying to allude to the fact that his playing is very precise.

5. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Haha, I was thinking he took off the blade and super glued a pick to one or something.. :p One last newbie question, do you know what distortion he uses? I heard he used a rat somwhere, but I'm not sure. But he has a nice tone, hehe.

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Oh, and since you seem to be in the same cool music as I am, you should check out the Oxes if you havn't already. They're a bassless band, 2 guitarist and a drummer, all thier stuff is instrumental. They sound alot like shellac, except not as reptitious. Even tho Shellac's reptition is good, Oxes are just grand :p

7. Hell yeah, Oxes!
    Have you guys heard Hella? They're another bassless band with only one guitarist. They're insane, to say the least. BTW, Steve Albini's a cool guy.