Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Sims (Jesus Lizard/Rapeman)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Anyone know what equipment he used, or if he picked or fingered? I think he's a good bassist :/

2. Last time I saw the Jesus Lizard, Sims was playing a Fender Jazz, looked to be a 70's model with the maple neck and inlays (not sure about those, it was a while ago). He had an Ampeg SVT head and Cab. He plays with a pick - it's like a scalpel for some serious surgical precision playing.

I'm also a fan of his. The Jesus Lizrd's rhythm section is tight machine! Their live shows were amazing. Sooo much better than the records.

Albini Fan, huh? I take it you must also like stuff like Shellac, June of 44, Don Caballero, etc, etc?

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Yeah :( I have a Big Black hoodie that I made myself, I wear it all the time :\ It was a surgeons scalpel? Anyone have a picture?

4. It was just a figure of speech - he didn't really play with a scalpel. :D :D I was just trying to allude to the fact that his playing is very precise.

5. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Haha, I was thinking he took off the blade and super glued a pick to one or something.. :p One last newbie question, do you know what distortion he uses? I heard he used a rat somwhere, but I'm not sure. But he has a nice tone, hehe.

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Oh, and since you seem to be in the same cool music as I am, you should check out the Oxes if you havn't already. They're a bassless band, 2 guitarist and a drummer, all thier stuff is instrumental. They sound alot like shellac, except not as reptitious. Even tho Shellac's reptition is good, Oxes are just grand :p

7. Hell yeah, Oxes!
    Have you guys heard Hella? They're another bassless band with only one guitarist. They're insane, to say the least. BTW, Steve Albini's a cool guy.