David Williams

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I was listening to Cedar Walton's Ironclad -- a 1989 concert date. David Williams plays real tasty, in a 1989 "Underwood" kinda way. Between Mr. Williams and Billy Higgins the trio reminded me of an up-to-date version of the Ahmad Jamal Trio with Israel Crosby and Vernell Fournier.

Googling Mr. Williams results in only a few pertinent items. Anybody got more information about him? Is this the same guy who coined The Lick We've All Played on James Brown's I Feel Good?
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm pretty sure he's not.

I gotta say, after hearing him with Cedar one week and hearing Peter Washington the following week with Tommy Flanagan, I was a little underwhelmed...
  3. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I saw David in Cedar's trio with Kenny Washington last summer. He sounded great, especially on a solo bass feature where he played an arrangement of Coltrane's "Resolution" leading into "Seven Minds".

He's from Trinidad. I don't think he's the same guy as on the James Brown tune.