1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

David Williams

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I was listening to Cedar Walton's Ironclad -- a 1989 concert date. David Williams plays real tasty, in a 1989 "Underwood" kinda way. Between Mr. Williams and Billy Higgins the trio reminded me of an up-to-date version of the Ahmad Jamal Trio with Israel Crosby and Vernell Fournier.

Googling Mr. Williams results in only a few pertinent items. Anybody got more information about him? Is this the same guy who coined The Lick We've All Played on James Brown's I Feel Good?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm pretty sure he's not.

I gotta say, after hearing him with Cedar one week and hearing Peter Washington the following week with Tommy Flanagan, I was a little underwhelmed...

3. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I saw David in Cedar's trio with Kenny Washington last summer. He sounded great, especially on a solo bass feature where he played an arrangement of Coltrane's "Resolution" leading into "Seven Minds".

He's from Trinidad. I don't think he's the same guy as on the James Brown tune.

4. M Paroo

M Paroo

Jan 2, 2004
    River City