1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Young

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by LouisF, Feb 22, 2008.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    L.A. area bassists might like to know about David's recital 3/10 at the Colburn School. David is, among other things, principal bass of the LA opera orchestra.

Louis

Attached Files:

2. For a minute I thought this thread was about Dave Young from Toronto...........WTH, let's make it about him.
    Dave's one of my absolute favorite bassists on either side of the 49th parallel. Who else out there thinks so?

byrdzeye likes this.
  3. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Yes, me too. I saw him at Monterey with Oscar Peterson several years ago. I like him mostly from the piano/bass duo CDs he made with all those fine players. The other stuff I acquired I do not like much because of how it was recorded....way too much "cymbal" and other high frequency stuff, lots of ringing. I don't EQ it out. I tried it briefly with seemingly marginal success. I assumed it was a Canadian recording style. I keep thinking "Can't they hear that"?

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm with ya on that one.

I met him a couple of years ago. A guy I played music with grew up with him here in Winnipeg. We were rehearsing down in my friend's basement. I was doing a home reno project at the time that had me digging a large hole over about a two week period. My hands and body were a wreck. Practising and playing were on hold. The leader had brought in some gnarly charts for tunes I'd never heard before. Whilst hammering my way through one of them and mashing it all up, there's a knock on the door. My pal says, "oh that's my friend Dave, keep playing." I keep sweating and hammering and mashing. I look up. Dave Young....

5. I studied with Dave for a week each summer (2003-2005). He seems completely absent of ego, which I find amazing. I mean, to have accomplished as much as he has and to play as well as he does, well, I just never expected someone so down to earth and approachable. He's a helluva guy….

6. I've studied with the LA David Young for the last couple of years; I recommend him very highly.

Besides being a performance of interesting pieces by a great player, David's recital should be of interest to LA-area bass geeks because he uses a lot of Rabbath-isms with a very full and powerful tone (one of the regular TB critiques of Rabbath is that his approach is ideal for playing his music with his sound and setup but questionable for other applications).

So, maybe that flame-bait will get this thread back on track (though I do love the Canadian Dave Young's CD with Lenny Breau...).

7. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I may be meeting the Toronto Dave Young tomorrow, as I have a U of T audition. I'm not sure if he or Jim Vivian adjudicate the bass auditions though. I would think they do, we'll see.

8. DavidHYoung

DavidHYoung

Jan 27, 2014
    Los Angeles
    From David Young of LA:
    I have had the distinct privilege of being confused with Dave Young of Toronto. When he was on tour with Oscar Peterson, Dave and I met in LA, and went to the gig and listened to him be a rock-solid support for the unlimited torrent of creative music coming from Mr. Peterson. What a thrill.