Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

day job for a semi-pro musician?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Dec 9, 2003.

1. hey folks.

I'm a senior in college, set to graduate in May. I had plans to attend graduate school for a Ph.D in Sociology (I'm a sociology/political science dual major), but the more I look into it, the less this seems like a viable path to take. The academic job market totally sucks, and I can't imagine spending 5-7 years in grad school to find myself unemployed.

So I'm gonna graduate, and I don't know what's gonna happen after that. It's kind of scary. I have an original rock band that gigs weekly, but the money I get from that definitely isn't enough to live on, even if I stay living at home for a while like I am now. I want a full time day job, but a lot of my friends who have already graduated and gone off into the working world have no lives outside of work. Their jobs are their lives. They are up at 6:30 for work, work in a cubicle all day doing stuff they hate, get home around 6:30pm, and are too tired to do anything after work. Being a gigging musician, that just won't work for me - I'm not ready to be a slave to my job at age 22.

I know a lot of you have found ways to strike a balance between music and your career. How do you do it? What kinds of careers/fields are good for this?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do you like doing sales? Sell real estate, cars, boats, life insurance. I left my job in drywall because of an injury, and did sales. Now I work for a radio station on the promotions department. Totally fun, and we get paid to help people have fun.

-Mike

3. Actually, I depise sales... :meh:
    I've had too many crappy summer retail jobs to ever wanna go back into it. Thanks though.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Things that I've found most important in my day job:

1. flexible hours (i.e. so I can come in late or leave early if I need to)
    2. no need to travel for work
    3. no weekend shifts
    4. no rules on dress/grooming
    5. no hassles being on phone at work
    6. big salary :D

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And your day job is...

C'mon, I really want to know.

If you can abide tweens and teens, you could get a job as a substitute teacher in your local school district.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm an electrical engineer specializing in digital integrated circuit design.

Oh, I left one thing out:

7. plentiful job openings near a strong music scene (in my case, Boston, MA)

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey MJ5150 - what station do you work at?
    I'm just curious, I have a friend that is a news directer for one of the stations in the Oly area and my gf works in sales for a station in Centralia...
    ...maybe I know somebody who knows you ;)

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Creepy....Funky Monkey 104.9.

-Mike