Daydreaming about 'mini' 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magman, May 15, 2002.

1. There are people on the list who like to talk numbers regarding cabs and for fun I thought I'd post up a simple idea...

on the bus, I was thinking about, if I got another cab to go with my avatar 210, the feasibility of a 2x15 along the lines of bagend-inspired compact 15's.
    The idea is to get a (non-boutique) cab with enourmous balls (loud and bassy),and *reasonable* low-low end (some will be sacrificed), that is not too bulky, and can support cab and head on-top. No tweeter, decent sound.

So lets say its loaded with Emminence delta or kappa's 15's , and about 32x18x17 in dimensions, 50lbs weight.
    - aiming for a tuning of @50 hz?

Is this going to fly without getting a poopy sound?
    Is there a fatal flaw in the design?

Just imagine 2 of these... a 4x15 stack, of relatively modest size... forget 4x10's :)

2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i'd also be interested in a more compact 2x15 design. diagonal placement of the speakers, similar to the aguilar 2x12, seems like it would save space. tube ports, instead of the slot port the big bertha has, would also save some space.

now...anyone want to design me one? :)

3. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    what about the hartke 215BXL? thats the smallest i can think of thats actually being produced right now. go here for more info.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Has any manufacturer ever attempted a cubic enclosure with a 12" or 15" on one side and another 12" or 15" on an adjacent side? That would be a good way of cutting down bulk.
  5. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that hartke 215 cab is the same deminsions of my fender 80's 15 cab. just a tad heavier!!
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    yes, they were made in the early 90ies, I have one whith 4HU empty rack space included (so mine is a litlle bit higher than this one on ebay)

compact: yes, indeed.
    light-weight: not at all (100lbs.)

I switched over to a Glockenklang 212 recently which outperformes the Ampeg in every respect (except volume maybe, but therefore the 212 has more bottom) and only weighs 65lbs.

If you want to build a 215 weighing only 50lbs you would have to use lightweight design and materials (e.g. neodym magnets)

8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah, Celestion make Neodymium magnet bass guitar loudspeakers which I hear are very good, I was going to get them for my 2x15 but Dr. Decibel (of Celestion) felt they wouldn't be as good as the Q15-2550s.

I don't know how that would affect the sound having the waves from the rear of the speaker hitting each other head on...
  9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    1. the rear speaker of my Ampeg works only below 300Hz, so 'directionality' is not a problem (same issue as with rear ports)
    2. I guess you have to be careful to wire the speakers correctly (in phase or out of phase, I don't know)

BTW: box size is restricted by the T/S parameters of the speakers and the low end response you want to achieve. (You can't just stuff speakers into a box so tiny that they just fit into it.)

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I owned the 12" version of the Ampeg DD (dual drive) cabinet. I never saw one before without the rack space on top!

Nice sounding boxes but REALLY heavy, much heavier than they looked due to the second (rear firing) speaker.

The driver in the rear was crossed over to act only as a subwoofer, the one in front handled lows and mids and there was a piezo tweeter which could be disabled.

Ampeg also sold the DD cabs mated with SVT-III Pro heads... a combo amp that could kill large mammals at 25 yards :cool:

The Harke 215XL is really a subwoofer, check the specs. It rolls of at about 1 Khz.
  11. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    :D :D :D
    And at the same time it looked kind of cute....
    Great setup if you like understatement! ;)