1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Daylight Saving Time - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Old Garage-Bander, Nov 3, 2018.

What to do about DST

Poll closed Nov 10, 2018.
  1. Keep doing what we are doing?

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Go back to Non-Dayligh Saving time and just leave it there?

20 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Stay on Daylight Saving time permanently.

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Do Reverse DST... Fall Forward and Spring Back?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Last Poll Choice - See my comments.

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Last Poll Choice
    carrot_kitchen_wall_clock-rc4debe6e213b49bea4c233b1e6b2cd38_fup13_8byvr_540.

For those of us that live in parts of the universe that tinker with the time of day a couple of times a year...
    How do you feel about it? What would you like to see done?

I’m of the opinion that we should just not mess with it, but if we must, do it backwards from the way we do it now. “Reverse DST.” Fall Ahead and Spring Back. This will give us a more evened out light and dark parts of the day, relative to clock time. At least as much as one can by only changing one hour.

MrLenny1 and OldDog52 like this.
  2. Go with the flow. Not much choice.

I’ve already set my clocks back;)

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  3. Move to HI. drool

DirtDog likes this.
  4. Do I have to give up all this daylight I've saved?

two fingers and sissy kathy like this.
  5. The clock in my shop is left on "Summer Time" all year. I ain't climbing on the table to change it until the battery stops.

Tomorrow I will be the first band member set up and ready to go. :thumbsup:
    Or I will be waiting outside for the building to be opened. :meh:

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i live with it (DST), but don't like it, and i don't buy into the arguments for it... :)

7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Old native proverb- Only a white guy would cut 3 inches from the end of his blanket, sew it on the other end, and claim he has a longer blanket.

ak56, NigelD, HeavyDuty and 3 others like this.
  8. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I hate the time changes, and I can never remember which part of the year is standard time versus daylight savings time. I just wish we'd pick one time, either one, and stick with it.

HeavyDuty, Mike N, petrus61 and 2 others like this.
  9. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Feb 3, 2014
    He knows the blanket isn't any longer.. he's just moving the end over so it covers his toes instead of his face.

I don't see DST as a big deal. Change the clock and get on with life.

10. Part of my work duties require that I know which side of the saving we are on. It’s a thing for me at least a couple of times a week. Then there is extra work for me because of the time change. And when someone else on the staff gets it wrong, still more work for me. Ugh. :sour:

11. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    In the USA we tend to blame this on the farmers. The farmers hate it. The Germans invented it, and have since seen the error of their ways. I am in the minority of people who like Standard Time - the switch to DST has me putting my keys in the freezer and other such nonsense for a few days - but I'd settle for whoever's in charge of this picking a time and staying with it. Quit messing with the clocks!

HeavyDuty likes this.
  12. The farmers don’t like it and we are primarily a farm economy state.
    I guess unless someone makes a fuss, it’s no big deal.

Who’s in charge? Your state legislature. Now you know where to take it. Go get ‘em!

13. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Other than having to fool with your clocks a couple times a year, what difference does it make?

14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

Indeed. That said, there are currently more pressing issues. For starters, my state rep is a perpetual sponsor of a bill that would make it impossible for me to participate in public life. Yes, I’ve written him letters, ones that explicitly request a response. Crickets.

15. Unfortunately, status quo seems to be the norm.
    At the risk of stepping into a political discussion, I’ll make a ham-handed segway to get back on topic... kind of.
    How ‘bout dem Huskers? Can they turn back the clock on -THE- Ohio State?

blastoff99 likes this.
  16. Sun comes up an hour earlier, I go to work an hour earlier. Yeah, real hard. :eyebrow:

17. Ugh. Didn’t happen. Ohio State by 5. :crying:

18. Gets dark way too early when we go back to standard time in this part of the world (sunset at 4:32pm tomorrow). Dreading it.

Jim Nazium likes this.
  19. Yeah, same here. Dark by the time I get home from work.
    Only upside is no yard work, unless it snows.

20. No yard work? I’ve done nuttin but fall leaf cleanup for the last three weeks! And more to come down. Tired of leaves!

petrus61 likes this.