Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daym!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i've been wanting a Warwick corvette 4-string ever since ive seen one.
    On Musician's Friend, is saw one for 1,499.98 AUD, which is a damn good price!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...204786931/g=bass/search/detail/base_id/100092

does anyone have experience with this company and ordering stuff overseas or otherwise without playing it etc? is it reliable?

ive heard that some warwick's have shotty construction but that must be very rare.

any advice would be grateful

cheers mates:bassist:

2. Basho

Basho Guest

I'm almost entirely sure that Musician's Friend only ships to the U.S.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    From their site:

"Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship outside of the United States."

4. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    dang:( :mad: :bawl:

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i guess that pretty much ends the story, BUT, if you're still considering getting one, i'd highly recommend playing one for a while first. i own one, and there are a few things that pushed me to ultimately buying another bass. one thing is that it weighs a ton (if it's made of bubinga). two is that while the sound is deeper than any bass i've had, it can sometimes sound a little muddy, and the high end incredibly sizzly. my style of playing caused a lot of clacking (i play pretty hard) and it seems to miss something in the midrange. my main bass is now a MM. perhaps this is my taste and why i wasn't completely happy with the corvette. i'd say check one out first. who knows, YOU may actually love it.

6. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ive played a corvette rockbass and i was impressed with that, plus i love a really heavy bass.
    i currently have a rbx765 and whilst it has punch i want a bass with lots and lots of growl.
    i heard warwicks are know for that.

i was also considering a Rebop spector and a ESP f-204. but yeah all i want is good growl.

7. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    there is still hope. Music123 post internationally. is there much difference between the active corvette and the passive in terms of sound?

8. What about basscentral?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Don't mean to dampen your parade, but I have had quotes in excess of $US200 to ship a bass to Australia (including insurance) - so you would defineately want to factor that into your purchase price. On top of that, you should count on paying 5% duty on the total of purchase price and shipping costs, plus 10% GST on that total. For example:

Bass = $US800 +
    Shipping ($200) = $US1000 +
    Import Duty = 5% of $1000 = $US1050 +
    GST = $US1155

Therefore the total cost of a bass that started at $US800 becomes around $US1155 once all the costs are added on top of it. Make sure you factor this in when you are trying to work out whether it is cheaper to import.

10. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i hate to dampen your parade more. I was quoted $200 for shipping from usa to england and australia is further so i would guess it would be alot more than $200. Would it be better to take a holiday to usa and then ask a friend over there to send it to your house or whatever or go on a cruise and take the bass as your luggage.

Or do what i am going to do, order it through a school because we get the vat (17.5%) off. I have seen the active bubinga 4 string for £660 take away the VAT and it is around £535 I dont know how you would do that though

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, this parade is going from damp to wet. Music123 is absolutely the WORST mail-order house with which I have ever dealt.

12. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    thats just great, well i guess im screwed then

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Dont worry - all of us Aussies are in the same boat with guitar purcahses! What state are you in? I have a Warwick Fortress Flashback V that I am thinking of getting rid of. Although it is in Melbourne with my brother at the moment.

Can I suggest you look at some of the local luthiers - I have a amazing bass from Neil Kennedy in Melbourne (although they are very pricey), but some of the cheaper ones like Belman are very good value and, all things considers, really do crap all over imports in a bang for your buck comparison.

Otherwise, I have seen a lot of used Corvettes come up for sale in the Trading Post.

14. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    im in perth mate, id really like a new one though...but yeah as you said i gotta look around

15. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    wow, those belman basses look sweet!
    cant see a site for other one though