1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Days of the new Original bassist: Jesse Vest

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JDM2010, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I remember quite a few years back when Days of the New Released their (Travis's) Yellow album. I listen to that record alot and it made me realize that these guys were guinely tallented guys. After staying up one night to watch The late show I saw the dude who played bass for them. I thought That dude is Really Good. It was that moment That I picked up bass. I KNEW i wanted to be a bassist. The Guys tone was Amazing (Spector basses) Even to this day I admire the guy. I think he plays with a
    louisville band now. His style influenced how I approach 16th note runs (lol :D) I just thought I would share my opinion of one of my favorite players!

some of my favorite bass lines were written by him. The Breakdown from Tantric's debut album is still one of my fav's! :bassist:

2. I love his tone. I never got deep into DOTN but I started getting into hard rock when tantric came out with breakdown, and I got into Jessie's bass tone...very crisp and grindy-I'd say he has an exemplary Spector bass tone. I also remember reading a bass player player interview with him and he said he bought new bass strings for every gig because he liked that sound. I was fairly young at the time-either middle school or early high school and I thought that was the coolest thing ever...I never had money and was still rockin whatever strings came on the bass that I got because I couldn't afford strings. Either way, I thought he was pretty cool.

3. Thats what got me as well was his tone! That Spector tone on Tantric debut was GODLY sounding. I own a NS2A due to that tone! His 16th note runs in the bridge part of The Breakdown still gets me. He makes it look so effortless. The live in new york video shows a close up of him playing that part. Great powerful tone too. Especially Before the second Verse when he hits that open A. :bassist:

4. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    On a semi related note, Brian, the replacement bassist who played on the second record is a teacher at the music store I work at.

Hell of a nice guy, great player (now focuses on jazz DB), but living proof that you can sell 450,000 records and not see a dime.

5. I love his bass track to Take Me Back Then from Days II (Green) it seems quite difficult to play. A great player in his own right! :cool: