1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB 680&728 vs. DB 750/751

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babebambi, Apr 14, 2010.

1. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Only speaking of tone, will the pre/power combo cover all the bases of which the hybrid is capable in this case?

GAS is getting the best of me, I am already committed to a 728 and also have a good lead on a 680. But those integrated heads are sounding so very nice too.

Please talk me out of more purchase ... :help:

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    If you already have the 728, get the 680.

The 750 is great as far as gigantic hybrid heads go, but it's not even in the same league as the 680/728 in my opinion. I don't know if anything is, really.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In all honesty, I find the DB659 to be a better match than the DB680 with the DB728. And yes, both the DB750 and DB751 are mack daddy heads, but the DB728 is a truly glorious beast! At least IME/IMHO, the DB659 brings out the best in it, and accentuates what it does so well. The DB680 sounds fine with it, too, but it tends to tame the beast a little too much (to my ears, at least).

Great score on the 728, though! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    As always Tom is dead on! I owned all the aguilar line at one time or another and actually at one time paired the 659 with the 728 and it is a wooly beast. I have the 750 and it's almost like owning a high powered sports car (think cobra 427)... just a dangerous amount of raw power. Keep small animals and children away... someone could get hurt.

5. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Ya but with the DB 680 you have an excuse to buy another DB 728.

Two words for you my friend... "bi-amp".

You need to plan ahead for future GAS. :hyper:

[Tom you made sexual harassment Panda sad... :crying:]

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    See, the reason I liked the 680/728 combo so much was that you got all the tube "depth," it was ridiculously loud and punchy, but it was still really clean - not wooly at all.

Of course, then I put distortion in front of it, so, uh...

7. ryanowens

ryanowens Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 1, 2004
    Houston
    Trickfish Amplificaton