Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB 680/728 vs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Oct 24, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im thinking about looking around for a DB 728 soon to go with my 680. Those of you that have experience with the combination, is there another all tube amp you like better? Which amp and why?

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I have owned an Ampeg SVT, Aguilar DB359 and the DB680/DB728....It really depends what you're after...The Ampeg will give you a grindy rock tone, the DB359 will give a more smooth and sweet tone, The DB680/DB728 will give you an aggressive and enourmous tone set straight, but again the DB680 is so flexible, that you can color the tone....Every amp has it's quality...To me the best sounding amp is the DB359, but it's just a bit underpowered....by the way, Sadowsky is making a all-tube amp if you want a lighter head....

3. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks jacove! Agressive and enourmous is really what I am after so that was good to hear. I should add that Im interested in sonic qualities only. Weight and price are not a factor. :rolleyes: :D

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Joker beat me to it.... Definitely do yourself a favor and check out the Demeter. I'd pick it over all else.

Paired with an HBP-1 and you've got a true-world class rig.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The aggie combination is great. VERY FORCEFUL. I own it, a DB359, and a demeter HBP-1. the 359 has one of the sweetest sounding amps around. I would agree that it is a little underpowered The HBP-1 is great. Personally, I didn't like it with the 728, but I haven't heard it with the the Demeter power amp. I just had a jensen transformer installed in my Demeter and this really makes it a great preamp.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    as of now, the HBP-1/300M mated to my Acme B2 is my big time fav rig of the moment.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have both the 728 and the 300M, and both are very, very nice amps. I tend to prefer the 728 with my 680, though I wonder if part of that is just that they look so nice together! As for the tonal differences, read Joker's thread and you'll have all the information that you need.

But, I might have a new favorite tube power amp - the Trace Elliot VR350. Man, this thing is knocking me out! And yes, I definitely need to do a tube amp shootout (and another SS amp shootout, and a preamp shootout, and a 2x10 shootout, and a 1x10/1x12 shootout, and a shootout shootout... :p).

If you were to consider a solid state amp, I'd suggest a CA9.

Tom.

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Dont know how I missed that thread, thanks joker! Tom whats up with the VR350? Never heard of that one...

9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    and i even posted in that thread :rolleyes: i get lazier everyday! :p

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is a very, very clean but powerful all-tube amp. To my ears, it sounds more like the high end home audio tube amps I have heard than it does the live sound, or bass gear tube amps I have heard. At lower gain volumes, it sounds like a very clean, very detailed, rich and musical amp which you could easily mistake for a high end SS amp. As you bring the gain up, it gets a tad more warm (though still detailed) and it begins to get very "3D" and life-like. It's kind of hard to explain. It does an amazing job of being very full sounding but also being detailed and harmonically complex. You can push it into tube overdrive, but it has gobs of clean headroom, and that is really its forte.

Trace Elliot also made a VR400, which supposedly gets 400w from six 6550A's/KT-88's. I have the VA400, which is the head version, and to my ears the VR350 (which is rated at 300w from a similar compliment of tubes) sound very close in volume, and perhaps a bit nicer tonally. Of course, I have not A/B'd them using exactly the same tubes. Psycho Bass Guy has commented in the past that the VR350 and VR400 have differetly desinged output sections, so that may be part of it, too.

One neat thing about the VR350/400 is that in addition to the line level inputs (on both the front and the back, I might add!), it has a front panel instrument input that runs through a simple tube preamp. I really like the tone straight into this. I've also been digging a LowEnd True Voice preamp in front of the VR350.

Tom.

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    cool thanks for the info!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

arent we all... ;)

but cool amp, tom. can only imagine the GTG's in your area... ;)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, they haven't materialized all that much. I do get up to Detroit every now and then, but the other NW Ohio boys and I have had a hard time marrying up our schedules.

Tom.