Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB 728 or 70s SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Jul 8, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey folks! Its my turn for a relatively lame "which amp" thread. :D Well my scoop is that I have a DB 680 Im running through a QSC right now as well as an old Ampeg V-4B. I love the V-4B a lot but I want to sell it to get more tube power. I thought I could get a DB 728 to go with the 680 but Im so drawn in by the SVT because I love the tone of the V-4B so much. I love a fat thick tone with grit and I know the SVT can do this. I guess Im a little worried that the 728 will be harder to get grit or overdrive out of because of its higher power rating. I think I would be just as happy with either but I wanted to pose the question to all of you. If this were your choice which would you go with and why? Thanks! :bassist:

2. SVT, no question, but I may be a little biased....

The 728 won't give you that Ampeg grunt. For one thing that characteristic sound actually comes mostly from the preamp...

:D

3. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    SVT=V-4B on 'roids-
    If ya want fat, thick & gritty, get a vintage SVT-

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They sound quite different. I have the 680/728 setup, and I am currently borrowing a friend's vintage SVT rig. If you like the overdriven Ampeg tone, then the SVT is the way to go.

However, I have found that both the SVT head and the 8x10 really seem to sound their best when driven at about 75% or harder. I really don't care for either one at lower volumes. Conversely, the 680/728 sounds great at a variety of volumes, and it can dial in a wider variety of tones. But, the 680 really doesn't do overdrive. The 659 is better at that, but even with the 659 I use a Chandler Tube Driver (rack) to get a nice overdriven tone.

For your uses, though, the SVT might be the best bet.

Tom.

5. Be careful. I would not assume that the SVT sounds close enough to the V4B to know you'll like it as much.

I mean, I do not feel like an SVT is a louder V4B. Afterall they're two different amps.

6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks guys! I guess I should mention Ive never played through an SVT and the 680/728 only a few times. Yeah Mark I would say you are a little biased but I can appreciate that. :D Good point about volume Tom. I would probably have a greater use for good tone over a wider range of volume as opposed to really loud for the best sound but I love the sound of tube amps best when they are at that very loud point and the sound starts to get hairy. The good thing is that this doesnt have to be a practical decision. I have the solid state amp for reasonable gig levels. :p King - do you have enough experience with both Ampegs to comment on how they differ? I love the V4B best at its sweet spot where it just starts to distort and I hoped that the SVT would offer the same thing at a much higher volume level.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The SVT uses different power tubes than the V4-B. It's going to sound different.

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Good point Ox but mine has been converted to 6550s. Im sure its still different though because the circuit likely uses the tube differently then in the SVT.

9. The V4-B and the SVT do sound a bit different but they both have that characteristic Ampeg snarl. I'd consider the V4 to be a bit more midrangey than the SVT at the onset of clipping, but the SVT has a bit more 'bark' or 'gank,' if you will. Real upper midrange, 3kHz-ish. The SVT is waaaaay louder than the V4 at that point though...:D

10. I spend 2-4 hours a day, every day playing some kind of Ampeg. Lately it's been my V4B (converted to 6550 like yours). But I also play the SVT a lot.

IMO, while they sound more alike than say a V4B and an Eden, I think they sound enough different to say there's a difference.

The SVT is its own breed.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I would definitely go for an old SVT. If I couldn't find a 70's SVT in good shape (or repairable, with major components original and intact), I'd go for an SVT-II (non-pro). An SVT and a jazz or precision is the absolute perfect sound for me in my current band.

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Well now youve done it... I want both Ampegs! :D As far as the 728 vs the SVT I may be leaning to the SVT. I guess the best thing would be trying it out like most other "which amp" threads.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    for the guys that have 6550's in the V4-B's. Is the wattage the same, or has it been boosted up to 200watts cause of the 6550's?

14. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    From what I was told by Passinwind its only gone up a few watts. Something like 10 watts or so.

15. Mine's now doin' 105 watts before clip.