Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB 750 Help Forum----

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lpbassics, Oct 16, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    Hi everybody,

Today, I feel alone in a cold, cruel world. Why? Because ever since Aguilar came out with the DB 750 I had wanted one, but now, it is painfully out of reach. It was simply ideal. I had played on Aguilar products and was amazed. So much that I purchased two GS 410's on a limited time, half off sale. And with those wonderful cabinets just sitting dormant, I knew I had to crown them off with something special. What... a DB 750. A marvel of power and tone. After acquiring the the cabs, I quickly checked in with my friendly dealer to get a quote. He said $1300. Wonderful, if you work all this summer you will have enough money (I am a poor high school student)! Come two weeks ago, I finally had enough money, and boy was I jovial. Then it all happened at once... first, my dealer closed. Then, the price hike.... :(

(On a side note: $3000!!! how can you even justify that:mad:, I mean... CRAP:mad:. Thats quite the hike. If anyone can shed some light on this, much appreciated.)

And so I find myself floundering, trying to spot a thin ray of hope. :(

So I decided to create this thread, in hope of helping myself and others who may be in this horrible state.

It's kinda like the Denise show from snl, if your into that.

So, hopefully this is where I and others can exchange information about:

I. Dealing with the shock.
    A. Beginner-Advanced
    II. The DB 750
    A. Recent market trends
    B. Uh... like, if you see one available you should post it here. Like e-bay alerts and such.:eek:
    C. Owners of DB 750's can comment on them(pics)
    D. You, know, any talk really...
    III. Alternatives
    A. Other amps that maybe you could get.
    1. Eden, Ampeg, WW, Trace, Mesa, SWR etc ~1500
    2. Racks? -not horribly knowledgable here.

So I dunno, I know I'll sure be checking back and seeing whats going on in the DB 750 nexus of TB. I hope to help some other individuals who share this burden.

Thank you for your interest and support,
    -lp

2. Red-hooded sweatshirt, man, redhooded sweatshirt.

3. [Gawk] :eek:

The DB 750 used to be $1300!!???
    I only recently started paying attention to Aguilar stuff, and never knew anything about them pre-hike (still dunno when it happened). I know the $2895 is list price, but damn... What was the list when the dealer quoted 1300?

Well, I feel your pain; it's obvious I won't have a DB750 anytime soon either, unless another one pops up on Ebay with a so-low-it's-gotta-be-a-mistake BIN price... :(

4. However... I'm very curious, who the hell was selling GS410s for half off? And more importantly, will it ever happen again??

5. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    Okay.....

The list price for the DB 750 new was $1000 at the time... my friendly dealer marks up 130%, sooooooooo $1300 (hes very nice to me). I that time. I found most other dealers were at $1500-$1700.

And the GS410's I found he sold so cheap because he was going out of business. So it was sorta a buy one get one free deal (pretty good for 4x10s, i really only expect those at payless shoe stores, or maybe like a hamburger joint, only you buy the hamburger, and get like... fries... for free.).

-lp

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ummm....

I'd offer you some cheese to go with your whine but I'm all out ;)

Anyway, if you want the dope, save up and get a DB680 pre and hook it up to a PLX2402 or better. You'll get more pre than the 750 plus more power.

Prolly weigh less too.

7. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    O yes thank you! An alternative.

A few... err... one question.

How much are we lookin at?

lp

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I would guess, and this is pretty much a 'tard's guess, around $2300 new. I know that the PLX can be had for less used on ebay and elsewhere.

9. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    the DB 680 goes for round $1600 now.

looks like a QSC PLX2402 can be had for $900
    PLX1402 $700

~~On a side note, the Crown CE2000 has almost the same power as the 2402, but at $600. Comments?~~

$2300-$2500 so far (so your " 'tard guess" was quite good)...

I was wondering, tho, if i needed anything else (rack, power conditioner....) or if this would work by itself. I'm not very educated in this area so help is appreciated!:) And this may be a really stupid question... but, how would the QSC sound by itself? I'm sorta on a budget... time and money:(.

Unfortunately I really didn't want to go much over $1500... but hey, it's nice to know my options.

-lp

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You will get a much better price than that from Lord Valve on a QSC2402.......for 1500.00 you can have a mighty fine rig for those two 4/10 Aggies you got:)

11. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    Hey jerry,

I got back from maui just a bit ago (well 3 months), and i liked it and you're lucky to live 'round there.

Lord Valve whooo??
    http://lord-valve.freeyellow.com/
    That one? Have you dealt with this fellow?

And if you could extrapolate on the "mighty fine rig", as in what it would require (preamp?), I would be in your debt. I'm trying to do some research here so I sorta know what I'm doing before I go out and start trying equipment. I've never strayed into the "rack rig" realm, so to speak. I really like the Aguilar sound so I'm trying not to get too far away from it, but I'm definately keeping my mind open...

Especially if it's just as good but cheaper!

-lp

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Yup, that's the Lord Vave I'm talking about....he has great prices on QSC stuff, E-mail him for a quote. I got my 2402 from him, and his service is great. You can get a 2402 and a Kern/ Demeter SWR/ Eden/ Alembic etc. preamp for under 1500.00.
    Used you could get any of the above combos, for about a grand;)

13. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    ill look into lord valve!

Okay, so would you recommend all of those preamps as ones worth checking out and playing through. Don't really like SWR so I'll prolly throw that one out.

Just looking for a list, and maybe some comments, about preamps worth looking into from your experience with them. Everyones help appreciated.

Thx to you too jerry,

-lp:D

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you want a DB750 there was a like new one at Atomic Music in College Park, MD for $1499. Of course if it's still available you'd need to buy it now. 301-474-5752

Is the ten year warranty transferrable?

15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have not played the DB 750 but I owned a DB 359 and it was an excellent amp. I recently traded it for an Ashdown ABM 500 and I like the Ashdown better.
    These sell new for about $1050 and they are a great amp for the money. I think that the Aguilar is now overpriced compared to the competition.

16. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    Hello,

thx for the tip brad... ill look into that!

... hmmmm... i never really liked ashdown too much, but i definately agree with you that aguilar is way overpriced now!

lp

17. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
  18. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I got my Alembic F-1X for $400 (average price used) shipped and a QSC Usa 850 for $250 off of Ebay. The amp's OK but the pre Rocks! Big, Huge, Full tone. I say be patient and you can get something nice for a good price. It would sound pretty killer with your 410's.

19. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I had talked to Evan at BassNW a few months back asking about the DB750. He said that the EBS TD650 was comparable to it tonewise. Perhaps he was just trying to make a sale because there was a waiting list for the DB750 and I told him that I didn't want to be put on it. I know the DB750 is rated louder but he told me that the EBS was still incredibly loud.