db 750 or wt 800b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by backseatbetty, Jun 28, 2005.

1. backseatbetty

Oct 12, 2002
    Here's a nice one,

which would be your choice Aguilar or Eden ? Lets hear it please,

Cornelius :hyper:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm assuming the 800B is the new version that can handle 2 ohms per side/4 ohms bridged?

Tough call. IME, the 750 will be the louder amp for sure. The eden will offer a lot more tonal flexibility, but the 750 has surprising range once you get used to it (like cutting lows and boosting mids and highs to get clarity).

The EQ on the eden is very powerful and you really wont have to move the level knobs past 10 or 2 o'clock for radical tone changes. The EQ on the aggie is less powerful but offers useful tones with the knobs on full cut or boost at times.

Of course, the eden will be half the weight, and two rack spaces instead of 3.

I can't decide either................ :D
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never had the cahnce to try Aggie stuff, but I really like the eden's tone shaping section. It's pretty dang nice flat, and if you can't shape it to your liking with the eden eq section, you're doing something really wrong.
  4. The 800B. It's a great sounding, super loud head, and it's very light and small. Any sound you could possibly want is in there... and its half the price. Duh! :) The 750 sounds great, but it weighs a TON. There's no need to do that anymore!
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I don't know if I agree totally K, the Eden is a very good amp. But the Aggie is just plain fat, you can think of it as a "heavy" WT800, but I prefer to consider it a "light" SVT. There is nothing wrong with the Eden, both are "great" amps. But the Aggie is seriously Warm and Fat, If I was playing a jazz gig with a six string, it would be the Eden But an old school R & B, Funk or Rock gig the Aggie just "thumps" you in the nards, serious stuff. They are both GREAT AMPS probably among the best concert bass heads ever made, nether would be a "mistake". And I have used both.
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  7. I too love the sound of the 750. However, since I play many, many one nighters a year and haul my own stuff, I just can't imagine! I'll stick with the Walter Woods and the Thunderfunk!!!!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. backseatbetty

Oct 12, 2002

Thanks for the quick replies. I knew this would spark some reactions and sofar this looks like a draw.

However when I tell you that I play some nice Celinders and my preferred style is jazz, funk and some R&B does that change the outcome? I like a clean punchy sound with a nice clear top end (slap).

Hope this helps,

10. The Eden definately has nice clean top end and warmth - think SWR on steroids...
  11. I also play the style of music you describe using a Celinder. IMO, the 750 sounds much more like a tube amp than the Eden800. You can really hear the fatness of the tube preamp in the 750, whereas the 800 sounds like a very good transistor amp to my ear (even though it does have a tube in the input stage). I don't like a tube sound for slap playing at all, and very much prefer the Eden for that sound, especially if you like a 'new round wound string' sound. Again, both would be great, but given your style of playing and instrument, combined the the added size, price, and weight of the 750, I would again suggest the 800 as a better all around choice.
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think it would depend again on the slap tone you desired, the Eden probably does the Marcus thing better, and knowing Mr. K's love for Marcus (nothing wrong with that!) I can understand his preference. The slap tone on the Aggie reminds me a little more of Larry Graham then Marcus, a little more punch, a little less edge. My gut felling, and I haven't played the Aggie in a big room yet is the punch sound of the aggie will "sit better" in a busy tune with the mix (more foundation) where as the Eden's will pop more and be better for solo's. But there are no wrong choices in this one, just subjective taste. Like I said before, you are comparing two of the best bass heads ever produced!
  13. backseatbetty

Oct 12, 2002
    Thanks K,

You sum it up nicely and I do like the new round wound sound! Seems 1-0 for the Eden. who goes for the knock out?

Everything is relative even preferences for one bassamp over the other...
  14. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I would definitely go for the eden. I also play mostly r&b, jazz, and funk, and the eden will most likely give you the sound you are looking for. if you were playing more of an old school r&b, all fingerstyle like motown stuff, the db750 might be the better choice. but if you like that clear, tight, punch with some sizzle on the top end, go for the eden!!!

there was a comment above about the db750 being a lightweight svt. this is true, but i don't think you're really looking for an svt type of sound...the eden will give you a quick response and clear sound while still giving you a warm tone. price and weight concerns definitely put it over the top, and you'll love the sound!
  15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  16. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    me too. :bassist:
  17. 750 here too....

18. DB750 is the one.