1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB 750 vs Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Oct 4, 2008.

1. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I do apologize if this topic has been covered (I'm sure it has). Old thread links much appreciated.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    aguilar tube and ss amp section....mesa all tube...

apples and oranges i guess...people seem to love both ALOT!!!

3. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Just heard a band playing a 400+ today at a local festival show, and it was absolutely amazing. Beautiful, punchy, round, warm, aggressive tone.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oh man,

this is like bmw vs. mercedes.

5. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    I had a Mesa Impulse 600, and I like the tone of the DB750 better.

6. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    There has got to be some significant differences though.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    true,

but you want grunty tubey authority, both have it in spades. to me, both amps are the tops in terms of pounding tube like hefty power. its funny how the mosfet power section of the db750 is one of the few tube/SS hybrid amps that sound very all tube like. while the 400+ has so much authoritative power, its almost hybrid tube/SS like to my ears.

i will concede that i found the aguilar does feel that much more faster on the fingertips and maybe a bit more forward thx to the extra wattage, yet still have that cool hefty tube power section like feel.

the 400+ has a better tubey gloss when you want it, and also conversely, a more cooler sounding grind. the 400+ also feels authoritative, but with a background of that weighty hefty window rattling feel that only all tube power sections can give you. its a shame that its been discontinued. hopefully, mesa'll come out with another all tube amp to replace it.

8. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd have to say the DB has more warmth and body. The mesa is good, but in totally different category. IMO - The DB has the best dub/meaty bass tones.

9. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I have (oops, had: just sold the 400+) both, and they are indeed both fine heads. I actually prefer the tone of the 400+--it`s both a bit smoother and more defined to my ear, but I needed to sell something, so that went. The Aguilar is indeed very tube-like, but (and bear in mind I haven`t done the famed tube-swap yet) I find it a bit too blurry and Ampeg-like (I think Bass Player mag called it `plush`) on lower notes compared to the Mesa, which was more focused. I am looking forward to switching the tubes and seeing what that does.