DB 750 vs. New BASS POD XT LIVE Board . . . don't kill me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jun 24, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have a friend at Line 6. He got me a Bass POD XT Live board to test. We tried it in the studio and it sounded incredible.

We then went and A/B'd it against a DB750 is Line 6's DB750 model. Holy crap it was very convincing. It really had that creamy tube DB750 vibe. I could dial in virtually identical tones.

We ran the DB750 through an Aggie 410 and we ran the BASS POD XT Live into the return on the effects loop on an Eden WT-800 and then into the Aggie 410.

I was very surprised. I doubt if I recorded both that anyone could tell the difference.

Not sure I am going to buy one but holy crap it is making me rethink my current NO AMP/Direct/InEar rig!

Definitely go check them out when they hit the stores!
  2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    boy are you brave, especially around this neck of the woods...

intresting either way
  3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I know. I am a tone freak and have been thinking of buying a DB750 especially after all the comments on here about it and my own tests.

Tommixx was helpful regarding the Accugroove stuff too.

BUT, this test was shocking. I have had producers use LINE 6 stuff int he studio with me before but this was surprising.
  4. Have you thought of trading your Sad for a Variax yet? :D Sorry, I'm just ribbing you Big Mike. One part of the equation is certainly customer service, as with your recent bass problem. My experiences with Line 6 have not been anywhere even remotely close to good. Due to TB policy I won't rant about it here and of course if you've got a friend there you might get treated differently than the rest of us. You certainly won't ever catch me buying another piece of gear from them.

On the tone comparison I can't offer any help, unfortunately. Good luck with your quest.
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I think the 750 is an amazing studio and live amplifier. I also think that line 6 makes some fantastic STUDIO equipment. IME as soon as you use it live it vanishes in the mix.

[sarcasm]Why have the real the real thing when you can model it?[/sarcasm]
  6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    LOL! NO VARIAX Bass! Played it and although it is a unique idea I thought it wasn't made well and I alrady found all I need bass wise.

Yeah, I have heard that from a lot of people regarding their customer service. I am very lucky and very thankful to have a friend there.

Just to clarify. I am probably still going to buy the DB750 and an El Whappo cab for larger shows.

However, for the last year I have only used a DI pedal setup (SansAmp Bass Driver, Comp, Tuner, Radial DI) and that's it.

I might buy the Line6 Bass POD board just for the direct live thing. Not for the big show thing.
  7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

There is defintely something that dies with there stuff through an amp once you turn it up and play in a band setting.

Running direct to the P.A. is another story though. I played a gig on short notice for a friend a couple years ago at a decent small venue (2,500 capacity). I showed up they have Fender Jazz and a POD Pro XT. I just ran it direct and used my wedge to monitor. Sounded great and really got me thinking about that kind of setup.
  8. Mike... Thanks for taking my comment in the tone in which it was intended. :) Sometimes it's tough to get the humour to come across (as humour and not sarcasm ,but you seem to have figured out the HTML for that).

I agree that some of the Line 6 modelled amps and axes are convincing and would be of benefit for those sessions where you want to travel light.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Exactly. Which Accugroove cab do you have?
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    qual said it best,

were you able to get it up to gigging volumes? and under the din of said band? the L6 stuff is fine for bedroom and maybe some stray recording, but IME, that's it.

also, why cover up the plump goodness that is Sadowsky with something like the L6? if i can get away with it, most gigs i'll plug into the house PA with just my Radial DI box, or if i'm feeling frisky my Demeter tube DI.

let that sadowsky freak flag fly!
  11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm with you on this one, if I'm going direct the U5 and Rogers Bass works great. Also mike, the one thing that blows me away about the Aggie, is the tube compression, and the dynamics. I have never experienced that kind of touch sensitivity with another amp.
  12. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    hey jokester... howdya like the Radial compared to the Dem? The Dem is my favorite DI box but I've never played thru a Radial and have heard great things about 'em... you use an active or passive model?
  13. El Whappo. The amps may change but this is the cabinet that goes with me everywhere.
  14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I have the Radial JDI on my "Direct/FOH" board.

I have been running the SansAmp with the blend at a little under 50% which gives a ton of the original tone of the bass, then light compression and then through the Radial.

It sounds so fat! Since I am still waiting on two Sadowsky's to get to my door I haven't tried it 100% direct.

I will say that I really like the slight tube warmth and tube-like compression of the SansAmp.

I got the L6 up loud but not in a band setting. Everything I have heard from Line6 sounds like crap turned up and in a setting BUT this was nice. Not saying I am getting one but it is interesting.

I am going to add an Auto Q to my board for this disco/funk thing I do frequently. Probably an EBS bass IQ. Anyone tried the Emma Discumbobulator?
  15. I'll chime in here too....actually I like the L6 stuff....a LOT to be honest....I have a Bass POD Pro XT, a POD Pro XT (Guitar), A POD (Guitar), POD Pro XT Live (Guitar), Guitarport, a Vetta, a Vetta II, a Variax 700, and I will more than likely get the Bass POD Pro XT Live when it comes out....However, I will have to agree for the most part that for the bass, there is definitely something lost outside of the studio. I have REALLY wanted the Bass stuff to work out for me live, but it just isn't quite there yet.

I am REALLY hoping that for the price of a couple of pedals I will be able to get a great SET of effects and NOT have to carry around a bunch of stuff to achieve the same thing. Specifically, I like the Mutron, Octaver, Chorus, and mulitple (types) Compressors on the floor that I can activate when I hear it in my head. I am not a big effects person, BUT, I would like to think that for a few hundred bucks I could get anything I might want to use when I want to use it without doing a lot of tweaking!!

Here comes the tirade so I apologize in advance but here goes........I really like what a Variax can bring to a writing or tracking session. A bunch of pretty usable guit*r tones as far as I am concerned. I DON'T care if ALL of them are not PERFECT!!!! The people who buy records DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who closes their mind to the possibilities of this gear is really just missing the point!! No one at Line 6 EVER said that the Les Paul Jr. is meant to take the place of the real thing....they said INSTEAD of having to take 20 instruments and 20 or 30 amps take this Variax and a Vetta and you'll be close enough that hardly anyone will know the difference.......

Just for the record, I GUARANTEE that I can take a Vetta II and a Variax and with good recording technique, less than 1% of EVERYONE listening will know whether it is a REAL Plexi/Les Paul or not!!! Trust me, I'm foolin ya EVERYDAY!!!!! (and so do a lot of engineers) For those that are not being fooled, good for you, but my checks are not written for any less because I am NOT using the "real" thing. Would I prefer to use the real guit*rs and "real" amps? ABSOLUTELY!! But, I would have to spend WELL over a hunderd and fifty grand (and STILL not have ALL the instruments and amps I can get for about $3,000!!!!!) to do it plus build a storage area for the stuff, not to mention how hard it would be when I need to work out of town and HAVE to take ALL this stuff with me!!!!!!

Sorry for the tirade but I disagree with the purists....I think that these are tools just like my Sadowsky basses, Accugroove cabs and Thunderfunk amps, they are chosen because they can perform a specific job and hopefully perform it in a way that is superior to anything else I can get!! My feeling is if I say it is OK to use the stuff maybe somebody else will get the hankering to try it and find that it is a great tool for them too....

So there it is, I am outed, I LIKE LINE 6!! I agree that sometimes they have their shortcomings but so does ALMOST everyone else to one degree or another....It makes us appreciate the Roger Sadowskys, Dave Funks, Mark Wrights, and Jim Bergantinos of the world!!!!!!!!

I applaud ANYONE who approaches his or her art with an open mind and a real desire to get the best result they can get....God knows it seems my quest will never end!!! I say bring it on Line 6 and ANYONE else who wants to help make it easier to create the very thing that brings all to this place to begin with......MUSIC....and the desire to create it in some form or fashion......Keep on Keeping on!!!!!

Oddio....I concur...my El Whappo goes with me everywhere to!!

Insert ducking smiley here >>> (My smileys don't work!!!)
  16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    This is exactly my point. I love your tirade! LOL

I have been using LINE6 stuff for yewars to record and you are correct that a lot or producers do too. I know some pretty huge bands that tracked almost exclusively with them and yet use some other gear live.

I own a Bass POD Pro (older one), POD XT Pro, POD XT Live Board and Variax 700. You are 1,000% on the money about having all those guitars and options while writing and tracking.

A good friend of mine and I are starting a production company because we have been getting more and more offers to do commercials, jingles and voiceover work. For a while we didnt want to do this type of work (we were idiots) and passed on a bunch. No longer.

We have been writing in the studio using only my Variax 700, POD XT Live board, a b ass and my direct pedal board and are having great results.

I also totally agree that closing your mind to other things in terms of recording and even live sound is silly.

As far as the Bass POD XT Live board, I may end up using it because it is so versatile and I am already runnign direct to the FOH 90% of the time and taking just a wedge or in-ears to monitor.

I get so many complimets on my tone with my current board and that is without the Sadowsky. Imagine how much better that is going to be.

Very few people could sit and listen to a real DB750 coming out of FOH and tell the difference between LINE6's DB750 model coming out of the FOH.

For that reason, and all the effects, I may go this route for my Direct/FOH board.

Now, I will say that their outs and DI's are not very good. The Bass POD XT Livce board has only two 1/4" outputs: oneis the Amp Modeling and the other is a "DI".

My plan is to A/B it against my current SansAmp board and see what sounds better. If the Bass POD XT Live board sounds better or just as good, I will go that route AND get a Radial JDI duplex DI box that is two DI's in one box. Then run the AMP model through one to FOH AND take L6's Di to the Radial and out to FOH as well. Let the FOH guys choose which channel they prefer or blend the two like I do in the studio.

Also, I tried the Sadowsky through the POD board and it didn't lose anymore of the Sadowsky sound than you do when you run it through another amp.

Just my opinion but there are endless possibilities.
  17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Exactly. Were I still living/gigging/recording in the NYC area, I'd most certainly have a "Bass Pod rack" for rooms with decent PA support and quick setup demo sessions (Something releasable?... I'd fight tooth-'n-nail for my normal rig, however.) There's something about being able to walk into a gig or session with one double gigbag and a two-space rack or pedalboard that's very appealing... to a degree.

It's interesting. I remember an early Bass Player article around 1992 focusing on amps, and the two main ideas I recall were lightweight cabinets and "programmable" amps - now very much seen in both neo-equipped cabs and digital emulation. I doubt, however, they would have guessed we'd have come so far in the realm of simulations. IIFC, it was more "solid state with digital presets" like the ADA MB-2 and ART Nightbass than using modern technology to simulate old (and new) classics.
  18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I can go one better. I take a double gig bag and only a pedal board in a flight case with wheels and a pullout handle (like luggage).

Pedalboard inside sit on top of an extra comparment for strings, cales, extras, etc. I walk into rehearsal or a gig and it takes me literally 10 minutes max to setup.

Board comes out, connect FOH DI lines to my Radial, plug the board into a power cable, pull out a bass, plug it in and I am ready. I sound check it in about 3 - 5 minutes and I am done.

So fast, so easy and it sounds so damn good. I usually have a floor wedge and sidefills so between the two I am completely covered and can hear myself fine. Even in samller clubs I can just take a monitor mix.

When I use my in-ears I use my wedge just for my bass signal and have thenm turn it up a lot so I feel that sound pressure level.

So far the direct route is working great. The only thing I miss is the lugging of gear and back pain!
  19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am seriously looking into buying one of the Live Pod XT's also. After playing around extensively with a buddy's regular Bass Pod XT, and hearing him using it with his band in a live setting, the live one looks just like what I want.

I am getting tired of lugging my amp around. Sure, I still do some gigs where my amp is a necessity, but when I gig with my main band, I really don't need it.

I think I am gonna order one in the next day or two.
  20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I based a large amount of my "rebuilding" of my rig around weight and portability (I'm disabled as well as have had major back surgery) and my planned method of live sound is very close to yours - ask the soundman for two XRLs, take the "Direct Out" (pre effects) and "Mo' Out" (post-effects) from my SWR Mini Mo', tell him to give me a 50/50 mix, and I'm working on my preshow beer. :D

As I said, I worked very hard at keeping the weight down to a bare minimum. I have the same pull-out handle rack as you, and it's that, my doublebag, my messenger bag (for the Mo' Control controller, tuner, cables, and assorted items) and Avatar 2x10" and 2x12" Neo cabs coming soon - I'm on the "weight" list. ;)

Granted, it's not a double and a pedalboard, but I can also just bring my rack and bag and run straight if need be, and I think it's still extremely light and efficient for a "rock" bassist's rig, and the total weight is still less than my old Peavey combo from my teenage years. How I managed to fit that in the back seat of a 2-door Plymouth Colt is beyond my current understanding of the universe... :rollno: :smug: