1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB Acquisition: Thomann vs Hora vs Strunal

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Armando Fonseca, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Armando Fonseca

Armando Fonseca

Sep 20, 2018
    Hi All,

I'm new on this and would kindly ask you expert's opinion on my first DBs acquisition.

I’m a musician since a kid (piano and bayan) but my “secondary dream” has always been to learn a little of doublebass (walking bass, pizzicato, etc) so I’ve been trying to acquire a used one, for economical reasons.

I don't know if you've read a post I've written a few weeks ago requesting opinions about this subject but things changed a little bit and I'm now into position of getting what seems a decent deal.

One possibility it to acquire an used THOMANN 33 3/4 all carved wood which I'm negotiating. Another one it to acquire this same model new or another on the same price range from Thomann, or even a Strunal, which I can get with very special prices.

The questions is which model would be the best option for now... Thomann 33? Strunal 5/35, 5/27, 5/5, 5/6?

So what do you believe would be the best option for me? I kindly ask your help.

Best regards,

Armando Fonseca

2. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Olá Armando!

I negotiated that same bass on sale here in Portugal, but ended up ordering a new one from Thomann, because of the price.

There are two recent threads here on TB about the same basses, check those out.

I am not bashing on your thread, if anything I am looking forward to read the answers here. But recommending you other threads is all the help I can give you, because I only began studying double bass a month ago.

3. Armando Fonseca

Armando Fonseca

Sep 20, 2018
    Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback J_Bass!

I dont know if it helps on advising me if I tell you which deals I can get, but here it goes:

Thomann 33 - 980€
    Strunal 50/4 +-600€
    Strunal 5/27 +-1050€
    Strunal 5/5 or 5/6 +-1500€

And now... what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Abraço, AF

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY