Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB Classified section changes - Input needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've gotten a few emails from concerned members about expanding the FS classified section into different categories to make finding stuff easier. I almost never read the classifieds so I wouldn't really know if it's needed or not. Anyway, those who care should now feel free to weigh in on the subject. Pauls sez we can do just about whatever we want with it. At first, I was thinking about "Basses & Bows" and "Amps & Accessories", but that may be too simple. Please weigh in on what would make your browsing easier!

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I would do several categories:
    1) Basses
    2) Bows
    3) Amps & Accessories
    4) Strings
    5) Misc.

3. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    +1 on the categories

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    categories would be good-I like hdiddy's suggested categories

5. +1 on hdiddy's categories

6. Would it be too much to have a section for cases?

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Nah... I don't think we get a whole lot of cases for sale. I think that'd be ok putting that up with the basses anyway. Rosin can go with the bows. It's all just like how the discussion forums are set up, just that we don't have any "technique" or "music" or "recording" listings on their own.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How about a time limit? Say 60 or 90 days after the sale, the thread should be deleted or at least archived. Archiving would allow to research fmv of an item so that someone has a clue as to what to ask or to pay. Archiving will be less clutter which will make it easier to find things.

When the item is sold it should be marked as such so that people don't think that an item is still for sale.

9. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    my knee jerk reaction was "yeah, categories" but on second thought:
    the turnover on TBDB classifieds is pretty slow. putting things into categories might guarantee that nobody sees your "student German bow for sale" ad for weeks.

even though it's annoying to have one's ad for a 4,000$ bass get buried under all the "are the Animas still for sale?" threads, keeping it mixed probably generates more traffic for all in the long run.

as long as the turnover of sale items stays relatively slow, i vote for keeping it mixed.

10. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how about

1. basses and bows
    2. amps and speakers
    3. strings/misc

or maybe

1. stuff more than $200
    2. stuff less than $200

which is really the same thing.