1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

db Control

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbanger, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    What does the 0 thru 16 dB level control that is on the back of my Ampeg SVT410HE do?

2. It controls the horn in the cabinet.

3. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    and that does what with your tone?

4. Turn it and see.

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    some cabs allow you to either boost or cut the volume of the horn... that's what the knob is for. the horn (or tweeter) puts out the highest of the high end, so by turning it up or down you're basically affecting the treble. A lot of people (myself included) don't like horns, so we turn them all the way down, or, as in my case, we buy tweeterless cabs.

I saw in another thread that you play doom metal... I would expect you don't need the horn very much (though if you wanted to cut through more the horn could help). If you play with an overdriven or distorted tone at all I'd recommend turning it all the way down, since overdrive usually sounds terrible through a horn. YMMV.

6. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    by turning it all the way down does that mean to 0 or to 16 ?

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Probably 16.
    I'm not familiar with your particular cab. But it can't actually boost anything. It can only turn it down. 0 usually means 0dB of reduction. That's all the way up, just passing the signal through. And 16 is usually turning it down 16 dB.
    Up is almost always to the right and down is almost always to the left, just like most volume controls.

8. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    You're probably right that this one isn't boosting anything, but in some cases (such as my GK 410RBH) you can boost a little bit by turning it up.

[​IMG]

9. If you turn the knob and it sounds like there is more high presence...then turn it the other way and that will be down...