1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB for Sale: Johannes Gustav Ruchti 3/4

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by basszeezo, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. circa 2001-2002
    Size: 3/4
    String length: 41 1/2"
    Price: $8,000, with extras

This fine contrabass was handmade in a small European workshop that does not mass-produce instruments. The craftsmanship is professional quality at an affordable price.

The bass features sloping shoulders that allow you easy access to the middle and upper registers. It has a warm tone and a wonderfully quick response that is even in all registers -- excellent for jazz, solo or orchestral playing!

The top is even-grained, quarter-sawn spruce; the neck, ribs and back are flamed, quarter-sawn maple; and the fingerboard is quality ebony. The instrument is tastefully varnished and has the appearance of a vintage instrument (but without nicks and scratches).

This bass was set up and sold to me by Chicago luthier Mark Sonksen. Click link to view photos:
    http://www.sonksenstrings.com/ruchti.html

2. You got it, thanks!

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm pretty sure that this was one of the basses I played at Mark's when I was buying my first bass (currently for sale below). While I did not know much about DBs at the time, I was impressed with the looks, playability, and sound. I justdid not wish to spend that much money at the time or I would have bought it. In my humble opinion, this is a great value and worthy of someone's serious consideration. (If someone could be kind enough and purchase the one I have for sale, I might be interested myself).

This was one of two basses Mark had under the same name. I don't really recall the sound difference now but this one is just a bit nicer of the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.