1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB from the beginning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by RSalvador, Dec 15, 2011.

1. RSalvador

RSalvador Lakland 44-94 - Markbass LMT 800 - Schroeder 1212L

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    This is going to be long. While I don’t post as often as I would like, when I do I have the compulsion to explain everything. Some of you will probably like that I don’t post that often because of that. :D I don’t even know why I want to post this…just do.

I’m 55 years old and was a guitar player most of my life. I became interested in electric bass about eight years ago, bought some gear, and the opportunities just happened for me. I’m now in three bands, get calls for sub jobs and am having a great time. One of the bands has a regular gig twice a month and I get to play some jazz. I have loved jazz since high school jazz band (guitar), but I like to call myself a faux jazz bass player. Even though I studied music theory in college I gave up on my music major, got off in to a different career, marriage and a kid and never really solidified my musical skills. Now I read lead sheets but am basically a pattern player with a feel for the groove and a decent ear.

Ever since I started playing bass I’ve been saying to myself I wish I would’ve have started out on upright when my dad was alive. Upright and tuba were his instruments. He was a career musician in the US Army and retired Master Sargent and he could have taught me and I could be like many of you who have played since youth and are musically literate and can read well, transcribe and all the stuff I wish I could now do. He had a 50’s blond Kay that I could own today if only…if only, if only, blah blah blah. I finally caught myself saying all this again about a month ago and finally heard what a whinny little baby I sound like. Someone asked me if I was going to take up the double bass and I said “ ehhh… that takes two years to get the technique down.” That was 7 seven years ago!

Well maybe it’s because of an unexpected divorce after 30 years or maybe it has just taken me this long to grow up, but I’m done wishing. I have purchased a double bass, found a teacher, bought Simandl and the Evolving Bassist and have started to pursue an unfulfilled dream. I’m determined to make it through from the beginning, to become musically competent and to swing like Ray Brown. It’s not for a band or money or for any other reason than I want to for me and I DON’T want to look back and say “I wish” anymore. While I’m alive I want to maintain the pursuit of the thing I’ve loved all my life, music.

Now, why in the @#$% did it take me so long? I feel both like a dummy but happy I’m on my way. There’s nothing career or family wise I would have had to give up I just didn’t do it. All I can say is I get it now.

I purchased a Thomson RM-200 Hybrid bass from String Emporium. I will post another thread all about that in the right forum.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Beautiful post. Welcome.

Post more, you've got a great story.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks for sharing this great story. You ask why it took you so long. My advice: Forget the rear-view mirror. :) Onward and upward toward fulfilling your dream. May you enjoy it for many years to come!

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Likewise. I turned 50 this year. about a year and a half ago, same thing. Kind of like having children: you dread it for years, then wonder why you waited so long. Welcome to DB!

5. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    At 55 you've got a lot of double bass in front of you. I'm 71 in two months' time and share my time between three bands, although when I come to do my end of year accounts I find I've played with 15 bands. I have four basses and eight amps and absolutely live DB.

Problem is in Oct one of my wife's horses gave me a good kicking and broke my left arm. After surgery I can't get much rotation or feeling in my hand and am a bit fearful for the future.

So my message is enjoy your bass every day, even the not-do-good days and don't be self-conscious about 55, 60, 70 or whatever. They are only numbers. Live each day to the full because you just don't know what awaits you.

Welcome to the TB community, they are the greatest guys!