1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB in a prius

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ghotinugget, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ghotinugget

ghotinugget

Jul 16, 2007
    Hey Folks
    Another car question- how well does a DB fit in the back of a prius?
    thanks

2. NOT possible in the old ones

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I've done it. Almost no car is exempt from fitting a bass.

4. We have an '06 and an '07, and my 3/4 DB fits comfortably in both -- as long as front passenger seat isn't pushed all the way back.

5. The bass won't fit into a Porsche 911. I've tried. Well technically I was able to get it into the car but you couldn't drive it. Ok, to be completely straight, you would be able to drive it but only in first and second gear. Since second gear redlines at 72, I suppose it would be possible to use it in a pinch but it wouldn't be ideal. Too bad, it would be seriously cool to show up at the gig in a 911.

mark

6. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Ed Tait ,Assistant Principal Bass of the Toronto Symphony has a Prius. So there must be a way.

I'm not sure if a Prius is a hatchback or a sedan. Whenever I put a bass in a sedan, I put the front passenger seat all the way back and down. I put the bass in neck first into the front door then rotate the neck over the driver's seat and place the bottom bout in the well in front of the passenger seat and the back of the bass rests on the folded-down passenger seat.

Good luck

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    It would be seriously cool to show up anywhere in a 911.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    How about a Lotus Super Seven?:meh:

9. Tyler_W

Tyler_W

Jun 15, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    You cant fit a bass in a volvo 960... I've tried with mine and failed miserably

10. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    I've got a friend who has a Prius and he regularly puts his bass in. I think he puts down the back seats, instead of putting it in the front passenger seat.

11. ESPdesign

ESPdesign

Jul 25, 2007
    I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S. That is probably going to be an exception isn't it? :D

12. Nope. My main gig car is an '04 Mini S. As you know, if you try to put the bass in straight, the bass neck runs right into the gear shift and you can't shift (all Mini S's before 2007 were manual only). So put the passenger seat forward and run the bass neck down the right side of the passenger seat along the window. There is enough room to put an AI speaker cabinet behind the driver's seat and a second one on the passenger seat. I still have room for a music stand and extra bag with all of my backup cords/strings/extension cord/powerstrip and ground lifters and a folding dolly to transport all of my stuff. My small 7/8 fits just fine.

You lose a bit of rear right window so you have to watch merging to the right but the bass neck stops short enough so that you have all of your mirrors.

Parking in the city is never easier than in a Mini.

mark

13. It is. You get there pretty fast too.

14. ESPdesign

ESPdesign

Jul 25, 2007
    Awesome. I don't know actually. I was looking to pick up a UB Swingmaster in the near future. :oops:

The Mini S was also released in automatic in 2005 IIRC. Either 2005/2006. It was a year or two before the new body turbo.

15. ESPdesign

ESPdesign

Jul 25, 2007
    I had the pleasure of beating up a 2003 911 Turbo. Let's just say shifting happens very rapidly at full bore.

16. Hmm. No kidding. I thought it was this year's. Hey I envy you with the 2003. I test drove a 2003 with the pedals set really close together. Heel-toeing was incredibly easy. Ordered a 2004 and when I got it, they had moved the pedals apart (the bastards...).

Seriously though, the bass fits right into it. I wouldn't take it on a 2 hour trip but for gigs in the city where parking is at a premium, it's great.

mark

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Why do they do that? I take it the Mini is bigger overall now? Stoopid.

There is an absolutely pristine original Mini Cooper in Pa'ia, a small town near where I live. As many current generation Minis there are here (LOTS), it's nice to see the real thing every so often. Makes me happy to see how tiny that thing was in its original form.

18. I have an '01 turbo. I've driven it so much it feels slow to me now. Unfortunately there aren't any Autobahn like roads around. I haven't found anyplace where I can go 190 mph. I have an '08 on order but I won't see it until probably next summer or fall--backorder is long.

Actually, the Mini is a little quicker off the line (0-5 mph) and it can outcorner the Porsche. After about 5 mph, the Porsche leaves it in the dust. The Mini also sticks to the road with much less effort than the P although the P will stick better than most cars.

BTW: Big bass really doesn't fit in the Porsche.

mark

19. ESPdesign

ESPdesign

Jul 25, 2007
    A tech at an old shop I worked at bought a '67 Austin Mini. It had 25k miles on it a year ago. It was quite excellent. I asked him how much he paid and he said he could've almost bought a new one for the price :eek:

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Since most cars seem to accommodate a double bass maybe it would be more useful to start up a list of cars that don't accommodate bass