Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB in big band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by vhgmbh@aol.com, Jul 31, 2002.

1. vhgmbh@aol.com

vhgmbh@aol.com

Jun 21, 2002
    Using a 150 ys old frenc h 3/4 DB w/fishman and GK 150w. from here i'm amplified through balanced line out into pa. so far so good. but hearing myself on stage (no monitoring available) give me a hard time.

Any ideas, how to improve that? Thanks Andreas

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Put the G-K up in the air, on a chair or amp stand (commercially available and inexpensive) or lean it back on something (again, angled amp stands available) to aim it up towards your ear.

3. vhgmbh@aol.com

vhgmbh@aol.com

Jun 21, 2002
    Thanks Bob,

I have done this all the time, but found out that the amp right on the floor next to my right leg in 40° angle heading to the left has proven a better result than on a stand aiming towards me - also for our drummer situated there.

It is still not satisfactory, anyway.

My GK settings are:

Input: 9-10 o'clock
    Output: 3 o'clock
    Limiter: 3-4 o'clock
    Subsonic: out
    Contour: 2-3 o'clock
    Hi boost: no

high: 9-10 o'clock
    both mid parametric: 7 o'clock
    both hi parametric: 9-10
    bass: 5-6 o'clock

Until input 9 everything sounds clean, after 10 the sound gets uncontrollable dirty and mushy. No pressure just mud.

Andreas

PS: I used k+k double twin I bought from you, but had to get away from it, as there was always trouble with the adhesives. One piezo broke at the edge (obviously my fault). At the moment I#m testing the realist, but the first impression is very negative (only dark dump low level sound is reproduced through hifi-equipment/this to simulate a PA) no definition. The same sound impression I had with the schertler dynamic mike, I checked recently. Both systems don't seem to make sense along with my DB. Or did I overlook something very essential?

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Maybe you could add an 8 ohm cabinet to move more air and get full use of the 150W. The GK only puts 90-100W into the internal speaker.

I have a GK200MB, and I have mostly found it insufficient as a stage monitor in my band. I use another setup nowadays, but once at rehersal I connected the GK to my old Peavey 18" cab, and suddenly I had the meanest monster rig - super loud! (well, for a living room rehersal anyway...)

An 18" may be overkill (it was just for fun), but maybe another 1x12" or a 2x10"...? Then it would also be easier to rig as monitor for both yourself and the drummer.

5. vhgmbh@aol.com

vhgmbh@aol.com

Jun 21, 2002
    Hi Ed,

I guess I didn't set up a profile yet. Will do later.
    So far, I'm an autodidactical amateur been playing since 12 years and starting again
    2 ys ago. 50 years of age, my first instrument is drums and percussion, but then I became curious :)))
    Doing rehearsals without an amp sounds promising to me. My bass teacher (stefan boeters, he's a member of this list) always tells me, to cool down my playing, 'cos I'm giving my DB a hard time.

Your are right with the nomenclature of the amp.

Andreas

6. VEGGIEBURGHER:

Perhaps you could nicely ask all of the fellows in your big band to play just a bit more softly. I'm sure they'd understand.

7. vhgmbh@aol.com

vhgmbh@aol.com

Jun 21, 2002
    I use the Dr. Thomastik strings (red end) - quite strong ones - under no circumstance for bow use. So I use a lot of lever movement from the lower arm into the fingers, I wouldn't consider this piano playing :) .

Funny enough, all problems would have been solved by using a piece of wood (or carbon fibre)- but, nostalgia in my mind.

After a few repair works - and weeks- I have got my DB back yesterday. A very sharp Eb 2 is gone by replacing the string holder. Some tension cracks have been repaired as well (a damn good bass builder, I'm lucky to have)

The Fishman works better than ever, now along with the KK-preamp only, no other effects pedals or stuff. It is perfect for our quintet in the practice room.

But big band? I doubt it.

PS: Yes, I will tell the buddies in the big band to play softer - I'm absolutely sure, they will do it- just for me: :-//\

8. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    Andreas GmbH:

You hadn't mentioned the preamp until now. I wonder if you tried that with the big band. I've been playing with a big band regularly (weekly) for about two years. At first I had the Fishman p/u with Fishman BII pre-amp, and it worked ok for rehearsal and gigs. By the way, we don't use a pa for the bass (just vocals), so my amp is the only amplification at gigs. The amp is a 140W Hartke kickback 12, and I am really pleased with the sound.

Maybe you should try getting more distance between yourself and the amp; you mentioned it being very near you. I can't get the volume up loud enough with the amp less than about 4 ft (1.2 m) from my bass. I also direct the speaker slightly out of the direct line of my bass.

Last year I switched to the K&K Bass Max with the K&K pre-amp and gained a pretty big increase in volume and clarity over the Fishman. But, like I said, you should have plenty of power for use as a monitor.

Finally, there have been some interesting threads here about methods for getting a louder sound with the Fishman p/u.