DB in rental car?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Siobhan, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Siobhan

Mar 27, 2004
    We are flying to the west coast from Philly in August and renting a DB there. Need to transport 3 of us, 1 DB, 1 guitar, 1 keyboard an 8 hour trip into the boonies to a music camp. Has anyone found a rental car that will accommodate such an ensemble, (other than a behemoth $$ !!). Last year I could not even get a DB into a mid-size Ford no way no how. Online rental car descriptions do not mention split seats or trunk pass-throughs.

It would probably bring an early death to my 97 Saturn wagon to try this trip in it. (I read the postings by many of you on what cars you can get a DB into. ) Any suggestions are welcome.
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I have fit basses into rental Stratuses (Stratii?), Grand Ams, Ford Focus (the sedan, not the hatchback, the hatchback is a cinch), Jim Ferguson borrowed my bass and put it in a Taurus rental.

But you can only fit one other passenger up front. To tour a trio your gonna have to bite the bullet and rent a mini van or SUV. Some companies (Thrifty or Dollar) have options (though not in all locations) for mini SUVS (Subaru OUTBACK, Suzuki VITRA etc.). Some may have the Ford Explorer or the new Escape, both of which are small SUVs.

You might want to check the COMPACT category, though. The ones I've seen offered are the 60/40 back seat split, hatchback kinda thing. It might work. Find out what it is and then go to a dealership and measure one out.
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Minivan is the way to go. Multiple seat options and tons of room.
  4. Siobhan

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks Rick & Ed. I see I have more homework to do.