DB luthier in Montreal

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Pierre Boucher, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pierre Boucher

Pierre Boucher

Apr 28, 2017
    Montreal
    Hi to all, sorry if I'm in the wrong forum.
    First introduction.
    I'm a new member here and an absolute beginner in DB at 67 years old. I started GB 50 years ago for a couple of years. Playing DB has been a fantasy for a while now. I already play 2 row diatonic accordion; and tin whistle and bodhran in Irish sessions. I started a DB class with François Héroux (former student of Michel Donato). He worked few years with Marco Caliari and toured with him in Europe.

Here's the phone of David Desbois, DB luthier in Montreal : 438 877-3342.
    David's shop is now located on St-Denis street and he will move his shop on avenue du Parc in Montreal in 2 weeks.

I brought him my Strunal Bohemia 3/4 I bought used for a setup. He's been friendly and very honest about the minimal job to do at a decent price.
    According to him, most entry level plywood DBs need a serious setup which may cost up to $900 CDN. They have no satisfactory factory setup.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Welcome to the double bass 'club' Pierre!

Your luthier is correct that set up is important.
    Even very expensive uprights often do not have a great set up when new.
    Or they need to be changed to the new players requirements.
    The luthier will adjust things for your playing (jazz or classical etc).
    Always good to have a luthier you like and trust.
    Post some pics when you are finished setting it up.

Happy low notes.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021