Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB Newb

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cdb, Jul 8, 2005.

1. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well, to start you can't afford that one. Neither can anyone else. As has been repeated here at TB many times, you'd end up spending multi-fold the purchase price just to have a temporarily playable (but still bad sounding) BSO. Or POS, more accurately.

Save your money and keep your eyes open. Sometimes you trip across a great deal, but even then after setup and repairs you're not going to get out unscathed for less than the $1,500-$2,000 range for a decent starter ply.

3. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    Gosh, but it LOOKS nice and shiny... thanks for the reply...

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Doesn't somebody here have a czech ply going for $800?

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    +1. Move on, keep saving and forget about any $350 price tags - they're just not realistic. I still wonder how the mothers who sell these things manage to sleep at night....

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  7. I can show you how to build a fixed-neck, tunable, 2 octave range, very loud washtub bass for about $50 in hardware store parts and lumber (the Dover-Parkersburg #3 is $25). It will sound better and be easier to play. That's a better idea than buying something that costs about the same as set of decent gut strings. Think about that and put it in perspective. It costs at least $100 bucks to ship one, so what is left for materials and labor? Not even enough for some top quality Ray-Bans. That instrument is put together like a cheap suit and it will fall apart just as fast. About the minimum for a serviceable plywood bass is just under $1000. Even then you are better to try to spend at least twice that and get a hybrid with a carved top.

Unless you are seriously masochistic don't buy that DB. It will make you hate DB's.

8. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area

i gotta say however that the few DB's I have played I haven't felt comfortable with... I have been playing electric basses for about 25 years, and uprights feel funny... so i am wondering if the ones I have played are just garbage... plus of course my inability to understand the technique

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Both, probably. And, now, the TB mantra: Get a teacher! :)

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    CDB-you've played slab for longer than i've been alive-but humor me. When i was searching for the right DB-i spent many 100s of hours reading the Newbie Links. Thanks to my Dad bumping the budget of the bass-i didn't have to worry/work as hard. [He wound up letting me get a New Standard Cleveland].

At least-save up a bit longer and get at the very least an Engelhardt EM1, or some sort of lower level Strunal. The initial up front and well-overall cost of DB is much higher than our normal electric bass realm. It's worth it to get quality.

To put it into EB terms-the $350-850 double basses are the equivelent of Rogue/JC Penny/Sears/Wal Mart brand EBs-yeah, on rare occasion with enough work-you can get a playable bass, but they could sour you on all double basses.

An Engelhart or comparable level plywood bass would be better on par with something similar to a Fender MIM Standard Bass-they're great for beginning, and some guys use them as their main basses forever, but they're good enough that should you decide that DB isn't for you-you could sell it for nearly what you have in it or you could turn it into a great player's bass.

Good Luck.

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As said before.. anythign under $900 is going to be a POS. Stick names that are known and reputable dealers. If you are buying private party, then have an experienced player check it out for you. No matter what, you will be paying at least $200 just to get started on top of the price of your bass, so keep that in mind.

A DB is going to feel incredibly different than a BG- they are different instruments that have very similar purpose and function. The strings, neck, and body are compeltely different. Everythign is just plain bigger and stiffer and that takes some getting used to, particularly if you have a botique electric. I am playing an Engalhardt M-1 that I paid $1200 after the case and some setup work were added in, and it's been a great instrument so far. Best of Luck.

12. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Why not bag one of those Roma plys. They are not the best thing out there, but certainly better made than an eBay special. You are in Philly...just drive up to NYC and pick one of these up for $750. http://www.bassesonline.com/roma.html

13. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Cam, for those of us who have been around a while it is actually shocking how good the low end EBs are. You need to go back before you were born to look at the "starter" ("stopper") instruments and see my definition of "unplayable." Most current cheap EBs can be set up to play quite well and with a pickup swap they can even sound pretty reasonable. Nobody says anything similar about the CCBs.

14. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    The Romas (and the Eberles on the same site) look like a great deal, especially if you can pick it up.

Stay away from the $300 CCB (Crap Chinese Bass), it's not worth the headache

Try some of Larry's nylon slap strings for a nice, cheap gut alternative. Stock steel strings are no fun, esp. when your new.

http://www.traditionmusic.com/store.html

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Good point. I never took into account how much easier it is to make a good/better EB now than it was. That being said-i own 2 SX basses [made in china], and 1 Indonesian bass [DeArmond Pilot Plus 5]. Not an age crack, but i'm really glad i wasn't around when the starter basses were all even worse.

Thanks to this site-i've learned more about EB [and DBs] than i ever thought i would, have spent more money on gear than i ever thought i would, and to avoid the CCB like the plague.

That's all