Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB Newbie Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by thrash_jazz, Jul 2, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I got a chance to try that bass I mentioned earlier over the weekend. (The brand actually was Aucona). It seemed to need a setup but, on the whole, played better than I expected and had a good sound from what I could tell. If I can get them to knock a bit off the price, I'll may go for it.

Thank you all once again for your help, and when I do finally pick up a DB, might I formally request entry to the Dark Castle?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Absolutely. Gruffy can tell you all about the form you have to sign, and after that, all you need is a suit of chainmail and a shield - these can usually be found in the back room of most bass shops/luthier type establishments.

3. Don't forget the dues, payable in cash to the Moderators, whoever they may be.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Chainmail, eh? Lemme guess - flatwound chain links, not roundwound, right?

Is the shield flameproof?

Don - do dues to the Admin count?

5. As I read this thread I began to weep...

It's the beautiful story of the young BG'er who was ready to open his mind to the world of the real bass.

As he encounters the evil music store clerk, who won't even let him touch the center of all this controversy, the bass. All the usual "Dark Castle" heros come out to rally around the young BG'er as he faces-off agianst the evil music store clerk (who probably plays drums, now that I think of it).

I am suprised that nobody recommend he find a teacher, even before he find a luthier. You know, to help him find the best bass for his budget, right.

And the story goes... He meets yon evil music store clerk to do battle. Only this time he is armed with the knowledge and wisdom he received from the aforementioned "Dark Castle heros". This time he defeats the evil music store clerk and actually plays the bass. Then the epiphany, that beam of light shines in through the window, touching bass and player as they become one, angels sing and doves take flight. He really digs it.

As this chapter now comes to a close, and another BG'er is turned. His battle may be over for now, but his adventure has just begun...

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I quite like this story, mostly because I get to be the hero in it. ;) But, I am by no means the first one to be swayed in this manner.

Actually it was my teacher who got me back into DB. He is primarily a DB player, but was teaching me some BG at the time. When I heard him play DB at a gig, I simply fell in love with the sound. And now, he has armed me with knowledge about the purchasing bit... much of it had been said here already though. Thanks again folks.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Well I did it - sort of. I'm renting to own now. A three-year old Knisch 3/4 plywood. Has a few dings and obvious repairs. Sounded pretty decent even at the hands of my unskilled newbie fingers (pun intended). It's gonna set me back $1800 to buy the thing but I really like the sound, so...

Just want to thank everyone again for all the advice and tips.

Can I get my chainmail and shield now? I guess swords and other weapons are reserved for troll-killers.

8. Let me be the first to say Congratulations!

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    NOT SO FAST, not so fast....first, you have to sign the official "DB Release Form", to be found on this page:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=157315&highlight=stringwalker#post157315

(modify to include your name and any other personal information)

After that, you can have your chainmail. :)

And as for the weapons, it depends what kind of player you are. If you're a legit player, you'd usually kill trolls with a bow rather than a sword - but if you're going to do that, use a manly GERMAN bow...French bows as weapons are for sissies, and trolls usually just laugh at 'em.

If you're a jazzer, you can either make your patch cable into a Garrotte, or do as I do and weild a CABMACE: a Bergantino 1x12 cab attached to a chain. Spin it around a few times, and then connect - unweildy, but very effective.

Oh, and if you're a bluegrasser, you can either slap 'em silly with your index finger, or drool on 'em until they gross out and leave.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Dark Side.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I, TRASH_BAGS, in accordance with my desire to delve deeper into the intricacies of the REALBASS, promise in the future to:

* Practice every day; [no problems here]

* Start reading all available DB literature at odd times, even if I don't really understand it yet; [does this mean I have to quit reading the comics?]

* Never again post in BG Off Topic; [but it's so much FUN! Don't we, er, need a SPY there, or something?]

* Always say "ALL HAIL" before mentioning (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's name; [will most certainly do]

* Never admit in public that I still play the BG, even though I clearly do; [how do I avoid the admission if I am holding a BG at the time?]

* Adopt an attitude of sarcastic/ironic condescention toward any and all BG players in my path, not because I really think that I'm any better than them, but because acting like an overboard parody of a stuck up classical musician is so stupid that it's fun if you can pull it off with a straight face; [I could practice in front of the mirror, but this would eat into my DB 'shedding time...]

* Make fun of Fieldy mercilessly every time I hear his name just for the fun of it, even though I don't know squat about his playing; [I know what his playing and his attitude is like... hehe... dO35 m4rK h0pPu5 c0Un1?]

* Start putting things like "new adjustable-by-clicking endpin" on my Christmas list; [Actually I was gonna ask for the $75 Onyx wheel]

* Start becoming protective of the Rosin forum, even though I find the concept of a whole forum dedicated to Rosin as funny as the next guy; [errr, no comment...]

* And finally, I promise to NEVER AGAIN refer to my left hand as my FRETTING HAND, since
    a) It ain't fretting nothin now, so why call it that; AND
    b) If I do, a whole buncha guys who have already signed this form are gonna rag my sh*t mercilessly. [very well, my left hand is now The Painfully Blistered Hand... for now anyway]

(signed)
    MR_TRASH_BAGS

Hmmm, as far as weapon selection goes, how about a BG Axe? I don't use it for anything else now anyway...

Oh, and thanks Limezone!

11. Wow seems like yesterday I filled out that form.
    Truly change my life.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    This has gotten a bit off-topic, but...

Played DB in public at an open mic for the first time last night. Luckily it was nothing too rough - I stuck to quarter- and half-notes most of the night. This gave me the chance to focus on intonation and tone. People seemed to like it, and I'm pleased with the sound I was able to get. What's exciting is that there is sooo much yet to learn.

In spite of the fact that I hold the lowest rank here at the Castle, I am very happy to be here!

13. Stop it...
    Your gonna make me cry again;)

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And we're very happy to have you here. Our lowest rank here in the castle is "Hunchback", but if you keep your nose to the grindstone and work hard, you'll soon be promoted to "Slouching Bellringer with Speech Impediment, 2nd Class". Oh, and if you're looking for something to do, I believe the moat (translation: ROSIN FORUM) could use a good scrubbing. :)

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Heehee. When am I officially permitted to use ZE FAYK ACHSENT? :)