1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DB or BG

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 12, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    For those of you who double, how do you decide which instrument to use for a particular gig? Or if you have both handy, for a particular song? What factors go into the decision?

Specifically, I'm thinking of switching from DB to BG in one band. To bring both to gigs I'd need to buy a car, and I'm not willing to do that. What should go through my mind?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest you discuss this with your other band members before you make any decisions on your own.

3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yup... definitely. There's no clear preference from the rest of the band, though, and no leader who can tell me what to play. One singer/guitarist prefers BG, the other prefers DB, drummer is too new to have much of an opinion.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Well, if you need a car to bring it and you're unwilling to buy one...I'd say you made up your mind.

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I'd need a car to bring both at once. I can bring either one with no car.

6. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I was playing about a 50/50 mix .... either the DB or slab, depending on the music. Most hard-core jazz dates were DB, for the classic rock & corporate stuff I used an electric. Really, I preferred the DB over the electric, but obviously it wasn't ideal for rock gigs. In my case, it wasn't a concern about transporting the gear .... ;)

I solved just about 90% of my issues by getting a Barker Vertical Bass. Upright-ish enough in appearance to please most of the jazz guys and electric capable for the rock gigs. Since I had this bass built it has worked the huge majority of my gigs and the rest of my stuff is sitting and collecting dust.

I play with some pretty heavy jazz guys and in most cases the Barker is a non-issue .... they accept it easily, whereas they would be b*tching up a storm if I brought in a slab bass. There are still some gigs where only a DB is acceptable, and that's fine with me since I really prefer the upright, in general. I just hate lugging it around ... :atoz:

You should check out Barker's stuff (in my sig line, below), here's a couple of pics of my BVB B1six (BVB's are 4 or 5 strings, mine was a custom order)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You're the bassist. Choose the one that you enjoy more.

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If they keep telling you to turn up or that they can't hear you, that means they want the sound and presence of a bass guitar.

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    The Barker is a great compromise bass for a lot of gigs, I'm sure. And it looks great.

In this particular case I've got a band which started off as an acoustic duo and has grown to a quartet. We play everything from samba to reggaeton, but not much rock - a few Shakira songs from the 90s are as rock as it gets. Very few of our songs had a DB on the original recording, but then again many had no bass at all or programmed electronic basslines.

Funny but I think the DB works better on the most modern-sounding tracks because it's more percussive. Plus each one of the singers has a song or two where they want me to play arco, so we collectively agreed to stick with the DB for this weekend. But if the band keeps evolving the way it has and getting more party/dance oriented I might switch to BG sooner or later. I'm just trying to figure out where the threshold for that should be.

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    It's pretty easy for me - we are primarily a wedding band and we usually break down into a jazz trio for the cocktail hour or 2, when I'll play EUB; the BG rest of the night.