Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

db stores on long island

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aussie, May 14, 2005.

1. aussie

aussie

May 14, 2005
    hey, im looking for a db to buy, new or used doesnt matter. i live on long island, so naturally, i want to find a store on long island. my price range is under $10,000. i have heard of a store that is right by hofstra university, but i am not sure what the name is or address is. any help is appreciated. and by the way, i am 15 and xtremely advanced so i am told. playing a nyssma level 5 in my second year. please help me!

aussie

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe try this in the DB-side of TB ;)

3. [ NG:E ] Asuka

[ NG:E ] Asuka

Apr 8, 2005
    I agree.

Good luck!

4. aussie

aussie

May 14, 2005
    hmm lets see.. so far i have not been given much help! this is very important. maybe a little more backround would help- i plan on playing the bass in my high school orchestra and jazz band. as well as going to nysamma with it, aka playing a solo.
    aussie

5. I live in LI and you're probably not going to find what your looking for here...You should do yourself a favor and go to the city, if you can't find it there, you won't find it at all :smug:

6. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    There are a lot of great luthiers in your area - try Bob Gollihur's luthier directory:

http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/luthiers.html

It lists luthiers all over the world, and there are quite a few in NY.

A good place to try would be Jeff Bollbach (www.jeffbollbach.com), he's a regular on the DB side and is based in Freeport - his work is outstanding, check it out.

Good luck!

7. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Like what's his name said, for questions about double bass, the actual double bass side of the board is going to be a LOT better for getting answers.

Anyway, Jeff Bollbach in Freeport or one of the oldest shops in the area, Kolstein's in Baldwin. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and hop the LIRR into Grand Central, take the 4,5 or 6 to Canal Street, walk one blocjk to Walker, 3 blocks over to Church and look at and play well over 100 basses at Dave Gage's shop.

9. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    You should take a look here, they are located in Baldwin, Long Island and should have something for you.
    http://www.kolstein.com/instruments/bass/index.shtml
    (Sorry for the edit but this link is better)

The site has directions as well, I used to go here to get my DB setup way back in the day, (I do not have it anymore)
    anyway good luck
    - Tom