Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB strings on EB?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sonorous, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well? Any thoughts or experiments?

I just wondering if anyone here has tried it, or has any input.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im interested too.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Dump.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's been done by a famous man named Leo Fender.

They didn't have BG strings back then, so it was DB all the way. They'll work, just gonna take a bit of modification I assume.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's generally impossible - DB strings are far longer - typically about 42" scale and far thicker - they woudn't fit in any normal bridge or nut.

Also - many of them wouldn't have enough metal content to work with normal Magnetic pickups - or you would just get very low levels...:meh:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Obviously you would cut them to the right length.

Dont tell me you put the entire string on your electric basses when you string them.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    1/8th scale strings (D'Addario Helicores?) may work but they're gonna be heavier gauges and you'll more than likely have to file your nut. I know 1/10th scale will be too short as I just tried some for my cello and the were good for 27"-29" scale length. The D'Addario website will have some good info that might help you. Also keep in mind the string excursion will be greater and if you don't crank up your bridge height you may have issues with them hitting the pickups or the fingerboard.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What are standard gauges for DB strings?

9. Bruce Lindfield

I have real DB strings on my EUB and they are so much longer and thicker than BG strings - there is just no comparison!!

Besides I cannot imagine cutting the B or E on my set of Pirastros - you would need some industrial-strength tools for that!! :eek:

But seriously - you don't want to start cutting strings halfway through their length - they are likley to unravel!! :meh:

10. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Also, DB strings cost much more. I wouldn't put no scissors into a string of twenty euros or so.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - I looked at some US websites and the set of DB strings I have, are priced at about $160 - you could probably get half a dozen sets of cheap BG strings to mess about with, for that price!! :eek:

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Low metal content - Nylon wound strings with just a metal core work fine.

Gauges - They can't be so big that its impossible to do.

Price - I know, but what if they sound super duper good and never need to be replaced?

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

You could do it, but why? :eyebrow: Seriously, there are plenty of reasons not to do it, can you tell me one for doing it?

Get yourself a set of flatwounds, and be done with it. Guess what? They sound super duper good, and never need to be replaced.

No need to re-invent the wheel as a square, ya know?

14. Bruce Lindfield

I agree with bassmonkee 100% - but I think the above can be impossible.

So - some BG necks are so narrow that there is no way you would fit 4 DB strings across them at the nut - or with slightly wider necks, the gap between the strings at the nut would be so narrow that it would leave you "dividers" that would be so thin, they would be breaking all the time.

Most BG nuts are made of bone and are quite brittle - but even if you had a brass nut, I think it could well be impossible to fit 4 DB strings across and make a viable unit!

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    A set of TI spirocores [stark] are around the same size [I just checked] of a BEAD set on a BG, so yes they will fit on a BG nut just fine; gut and or nylon [if they are big] I agree that they wont. To me the bigger problem is the size of the ball-ends.

16. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    So really DB strings are gonna work about as well as a BEAD set of EBG flatwounds tuned EADG. Sounds pretty unappealing...

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, why buy Spirocores when you can buy TI Jazz Flats?!?

If you want high tension wires on your bass, then simply buy some LaBella Jamerson strings.

What is the interest in putting a set of strings designed for a 40"+ scale instrument onto a 34"-35" scale instrument?

It's a stupid, pointless idea. Sorry, but it simply has zero merit. The time spent figuring out HOW would be better spent spinning in circles until dizzy, or watching grass dry. Those activities would be more successful, too.

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I've been spending a great deal of time recently doing exactly that... I suggest everyone gives it a go, there is some merit to it.

Now to the thread hi-jack...

How do the Jamerson LaBellas compare with Roto 77s and Fender 9050s? I'm thinking of trying out flats, but would need something fairly high tension.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I never said I didn't think it was stupid and pointless, I just was pointing out what the size of the strings are [they were sitting on my desk anyway] if you are going to point of the reasons why something will not work i.e. giving someone dissuading advice, at least give the right reason that it is a dumb idea; as I said the ball-end of the string makes the whole idea undoable, there is 4" of silk before the string even starts, plus the ball it self is the size of a marble, and most of the other reasons are valid, just not string width. The width of a DB nut is around 1 3/4” [but can be smaller] a Pbass is 1 11/16” the difference is 1/16”.

Personally I don't think IT flats are the most uprighty sounding FW string out there, to me, Cromes, Ernie Balls or LaBellas will get you there quicker.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not exactly. Because of the different scale length they might work as EADG. Even so, perhaps a different tunning is in order.