DB to Be??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Samie, May 14, 2003.

1. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    This morning I walked into a Clasical music store and I spent 1 hour playing around with the Double-Basses!!

Great, it was my first time! much to my surprise I could play "all blues" easily. No real problems. It might have helped that I have one bass and its a frettless... who knows.

Here are my questions.

3/4 or 4/4 I know its an old one. I am a big guy so the salesman in the store suggested that I go with the 4/4. Any real advantage to the 4/4? The 3/4 did seem a little easier to play.

Adjustable bridges. Is this a good option? the more expensive bass had one and of course it was set up with lower action.

Any other advise?

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

Welcome, and as Mike referenced, you will find great info on those links.

If the salesman said you probably need to go to 4/4 because you are a big guy,......

Llegue a otra tienda de la musica, rapidamente!!!
  3. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Yeah that is what I thought but I guess in classical music they go about it a little different. They had DB of 1/4 2/4 3/4 4/4 right there in the store.

I guess that is for all size students from kids to adults. They were nices folks, i dont think they meant wrong.

BTW you guys here are great, thanx for the quick response!!
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hola Samie,
    Be carefull: DBasses - even crappy ones - are very seductive to newcomers. Don't jump on the first bass you try. Get in touch with teachers, luthiers, and players, jazz and classical, to assess the situation. Get as much advice as possible, see what's in store, new and old. This is the right time of the year to get instruments from students that have given up.
    No corras, ten cuidado.