Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB Transportation in Midwestern England

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Mike Crumpton, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Hell, don't drive, no mobile 'phone - actually I might be jealous ;) - my car only exists for bass travelling - I used to peddle and bus around with the bg, with an amp on a trolley if I needed it.

With me, the front passenger seat is leant all the way back and the bass swung in on top of it, scroll to the back, end-pin facing forward. I know bass players with really small cars (mines an old Astra), but few cars are too small if the bass is put in like this.

I got taxi drivers trying to charge me extra for the bass on a couple of occassions which I thought was more than a cheek - and I gave an ex-girlfriend a lift who complained bitterly about having to sit in the back (as the bass was on the front seat). Well the Queen doesn't bother about sitting in the back :D but I guess she doesn't get upstaged by something wooden that often :eek: . No wonder I'm single.

I thought about carting it around on the bus, but the thought of the over-crowded 192 and getting the bridge leant against and the drunks on the all-nighter on the way home - no thanks - but you got me admiration Olie! :hyper:

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK

I have to admit the grim-ness of the 192 at night is why i sometimes get taxis!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't you have trams in Manchester now - they would be easier for transporting a DB, wouldn't they? ;)

4. Yeah but they don't go near me or where I need to go and any extensiion of the network has been blocked so they can blow the money on London's Olympic bid :bawl: . This of course is denyed but no-one here believes otherwise. The council wrapped the town hall in a banner saying 'give us back our trams' for a while.

When I got the late night 192s with my bg and amp on trolley I always ran into the same Fingland's driver who used to greet me each time with, "hey maan, ain't you got a car yet".

For those that wonder what the 192 is its a bus from Manchester to Stockport (running past chez moi), a town with a stonking music scene with altruistic publicans incharge of real pubs with real beer that pay real money when they can - better than the big city by miles except for headline gigs (Jan Garbarek tonight with Eberhard Weber on his custom built EUB). I'm jealous of NY that appears to have its music scene - especially not altogether mainstream and bar type stuff right in the centre though NY people might differ?

People who do regular gigs tend to travel a bit it seems to me.

BTW Olie, is the scene at the Britons Protection still going as you sound like a likely attender (whilst thinking of proper pubs).

I did consider a trolley for the peddle bike for a while - anyone else been so errr - green?

5. Bruce Lindfield

I saw them last night in Brighton - Eberhard Weber was awesome and the centre of the band! Great stuff!! :)

6. Thanks for this Bruce - their lates album got a bit of a panning in th reviews I read and it spoils a concert to go in with a negative attitude - thanks :hyper: .

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well... the last Jan Garbarek album didn't include Eberhard Weber and Marilyn Masur - who were to me the stand-outs of the show - in terms of energy, improvising and Jazz!!

I think the more Jan Garbarek uses pre-recorded stuff or electronics as backing, the less I like it and conversely the more he uses a real live rhythm section, the better I like it!!

8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    It is, actually I'm playing there this thursday (2nd Dec, 8.30ish)with Phillip Marks (a great drummer) and Graham Clark (a great violinist), we've not played as a trio before, I'm looking forward to it.

9. Graham Clark is fantastic - I'm suposed to be rehearsing (I think - its not confirmed) but I might well bunk-off. Besides, the bass is in the shop after a nasty bash and the car's blown the head-gasket and playing electric sucks - well it did or rather I did at yesterday's gig. I looked up PM on the net when you mentioned him last - you are in very fine company indeed, as no doubt are they :hyper: . Hope to see you there! - I'm glad I strayed off topic after all even if the moderators weren't. Hope they're not around :bag: . All hail TB! I'll try and recruit some more audience - like the band I might be reheasing with :eek: .

10. Bruce Lindfield

What happens in England is clearly of no interest to anybody else....:meh:

11. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm in much more exalted company than they are! If I played the sax, I doubt I'd be playing with such wonderful musicians so quickly. But thanks for your kind words.
    A sax player I work with will probably play a bit, Andy Gill, and he's very special too. Just moved to Manchester from London, where he was playing with the likes of Veryan Weston, Simon Picard, John Edwards etc...