DB vs. EUB for higher volume gigs?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by junglebike, Nov 4, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    So how big of a problem is this feedback thing anyway?

I've gone through the newbie threads and was wondering if you guys could help me out -- here's my background:

Currently playing a p-bass in a loudish latin/reggae band. I'm getting increasingly obsessed with double bass, and have been playing my friends now for a few hours per day. It's got extremely high action, though -- I've played other DBs that I've flew around on (relatively speaking) so I'd like to get my own bass soon.

I'd rather have a "real" bass, but I'm worried about feedback and, to a lesser extent, portability, size, etc. We often play smaller stages. One other plus for the EUB is that they seem to work really well for the latin thing, which I'm also increasingly into.

Any advise for me? Can the right pickup "cure" the feedback problem? Perhaps a blender system would be best...

Oh yeah, price range -- $1500 or so. Places I play, I wouldn't want to bring anything more valuable anyway ;)
  2. Have you thought about an Ampeg Babybass? That is the Latin Jazz standard.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Taming feedback is an art...matching the right pickup to the bass, damping the bass appropriately, having the right amp and speaker, using appropriate EQ, knowing how to position yourself relative to the amp...it goes on and on. If you do a search on "feedback" you will find it a very popular topic :rolleyes:

An EUB does solve the problem but have one drawback...you have to use an amp, always. Not just gigs, but rehearsals, practicing at home, etc.

For Latin music where the Baby Bass is "the" sound much as the Fender P is "the" Motown bass sound an EUB makes a lot of sense (especially if you buy one that has a magnetic diaphragm pickup...check out Azola and Ray Ramirez's basses).

Price wise it's a wash, most EUBs are not really any cheaper than buying an inexpensive DB and fitting it with a pickup.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, guys... I've thought about the Ampeg, but I think it'd be useless for anything other than latin music. The Kingbass is interesting, though. Looks like I'm not gonna get out of this for cheap :(
  6. You should visit the Azolas shop in Ramona. It's not to far from you. Steve's EUBs are some of the best around. I played a bunch of models when I was there and they all varied in sound. They sounded great but the baby bass had a different tone than the floating top bug etc. I'm sure you could find an appropriate EUB there, although price could be an issue.
  7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I have an Azola made Ampeg BB reissue. If you can find one used like I did, it should be within your price range. These have a wooden bridge (the originals had a metal one) and have a bridge wing pickup in addition to the original under the foot type. You can get the traditional latin sound and more. It's not a double bass, it won't sound like one with a jazz trio, but if I have to play loud upright bass, this is my instrument of choice. Through a tube amp, it sounds just like the real thing for jump blues and similar styles, and you can stand right in front of your amp.

8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I play both and sinc I've gotten my EUB I take it to every non classical gig that I have...It's extremely portable, sounds very good, and quiets rather quickly any naysayer...

EDIT: PLus, this one costs only half of what you have budgeted ...
  9. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    DonZ, You know, I just yesterday started a correspondence with the guy who made your bass... Very attractive price, and some good reviews so far. I'm thinking very seriously about going for one...
  10. Hey Don Z;

what is your EUB? is that a purpleheart fingerboard? pretty cool.

o.k., I play an Azola floating top BugBass and it sounds great (but I still miss my old Kay). But for playing w/ amplification, I find the Bug way nicer to deal with.
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My bass is an Ergo EUB mad e by Jesse O'Neal. It is solid purpleheart...the only laminations on this bass are the little pieces of maple on the headstock and the volute on the back of the neck.
  12. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    DonZ -- cherry is standard material for those basses, right? What do you think the purpleheart does for your tone? Why did you choose it?

Still loving the bass? I'm really thinking of having one made. Wish I could find some soundclips at least.

13. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Purpleheart is not standard and as far as I know Jesse is not building any more basses out of purpleheart. It does however create quite a fine tone.

I will make some mp3's this weekend and post them.
  14. I did a search for Ergo and came up empty - does this cat have a web site? thx
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    not at the moment. pm me if you'd like his email...
  16. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Ergo! Wish me luck!!!
  17. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Ahhhhhrrrrggg...I was just going to post something about Azola BugBass. I've used mine for the past few years and the old American Standard URB is mostly decoration.

I'd recommend an EUB on an endpin over a tripod, for a more comfortable playing feel...I'd imagine it would feel strange to want to lean expressively into the bass and bounce back because of the tripod mount.
  18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Still waiting for them...
  19. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I've played a bugbass, and I liked it a lot. I agree that the endpin is preferable to the tripod, at least i think it'd be -- I'll let you know when I actually get a chance to play the thing!

Long and the short of it is that I'm buying my *new* Ergo for less than half the price of a *used* bugbass. It's a risk due to the non-name-brand factor (particularly compared to Azola, whose stuff is always excellent, it seems) but for the difference in price I'm willing to take a gamble!

Will post when it arrives -- I'd like to hear the soundclips too, in the meantime!
  20. DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    The heretics view for Latin/Reggae

Take a Fender Jazz or Precision, put a piece of car wash sponge under the bridge, boost the bass, roll off the treble, and point the speaker against the wall.

Sounds at least as good as an Ampeg Baby Bass.