Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB with a bow

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Now, when you use a bow on a DB, does it become a cello type of thing? I'm a noobie when it comes to acoustic/orchestra instruments like this :(

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    No it stays a bass kind of thing. Neither does it turn into a trombone if you blow on it.

3. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Not sure I understand the question but I do love the sound of my bass when using the bow. Arco is very powerful and beautiful.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Special Ed -- always with the most direct and sardonic comment. I want to be like you when I grow up!

:)

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm trying to be like him now !

6. I haven't yet decided what I want to be when/if I grow up…

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'd like to grow up and still be like this.

8. I'll get the pop-corn..... :smug:

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Hey, help the guy out !!

Yes, when you play with the Bow it is more Cello like as compared to Bass guitar like when plucking.

These guys have nothing better that to pick on the lost stranger that accidentally wonders into a Biker Bar in shorts and sun glasses.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As the bass is accepted as part of the violin family it is just another voice in the violin 'choir'. Where the violin would be the soprano voice, the viola the alto, the cello the tenor, bass is, well, the bass voice.

You can play all of the instruments both pizzicato (plucked string with the finger) as well as arco (a bow drug across the strings) to make a sound. Bass is more familiarly played pizzicato, especially outside of the classical world.

Better, Ken? :)

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Maestro, you need some serious help. Where and why do you come up with this stuff? This is a Public, world-wide forum !!!

Jokes are ok to a degree but it seems you need a hobby ! lol

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I won't speculate on whether or not YOURSTREAU needs help or not or would benefit from help or not. Just think of it more on the order of somebody trying to solo on rhythm changes when all they know is the Bb major scale.

And think of me as Jo Jones.

13. Oh I got given that as serious advice once for playing rythmn changes.

Just what happens on this board - is it all the pent up frustrations of having to be pc everywhere else that here you all let you hair down?

Looks like DonZ preserved the evidence of another mysterious deletion. Must be the ghost of McGone.

What's the Jo Jones bit Ed - you see yourself as chuking the cymbal at the noob who's not up to being admitted to the TB jam session then? On that basis B8ssMan89 might just turn out to be the next Parker of bass (Charlie or Ray - take your pick).

Anyway, unless you go to a classical orchestral concert, you're not very likely to see anyone play a bass with a bow so good luck B8ssMan89!