Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Melanie-J, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Is the DB hard 2 play? i was thinkin bout trying it.
  2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I assume you're comparing it to EBG? I've never played EBG but I played piano for twenty-five years and trumpet for six before starting on double bass and I think the instrument is very hard. Very physically demanding for one thing.
  3. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    After playing the double bass for 3 days, and playing my electric for the first time in those three days today... The Double is much harder. I was able to go faster and play things I never could before on the electric.

You really can start to respect why Leo Fender named his bass the "Precision"...

But I love the double.. don't get me wrong :) It sounds a lot better. Every note just resonates and blooms. I can't wait to get some rosin and to get a a teacher :)
  4. Having moved from clarinet to BG to fretless BG to DB I'd say I find the DB more physically demanding in a way such that I have to regard playing it like training to keep in shape. Assuming my chops are up, some things are more difficifult and some not. Oddly, I find it easier to home in on the note I want - its a question of the unique colour of the note and that after a while it is not a plain plank of fingerboard but come to have a distinct geography.

I have played in a rock band doing the same songs on BG and DB. I mention this to say that on DB I want to play different lines and this is nothing to do with physical limitations of the DB. Same goes for jazz, my main love, a land that does not love the BG outside of fusion (and me too).

I do think that playing BG IS an advantage, because you then know what a line can be, you can imagine it, play it and then you should expect to do the same thing on the DB - at least I tried to at the outset anyway. Without this I'd have got fed up, since learning lines and building chops at the same time would have been far too much for me all together.

What is hard about DB is the same thing that's hard about BG - in any band you gotta be perfect so the rest can charlie around and express themselves (if that sounds bitter it darn well should do!).

One final thing, if you pick up a woodwind or brass whatever, you ain't going to make much of any worthwhile noise out of it for some time. So it is with DB, but as you can hear from others here, we all think it is worth ever drip of sweat.
  5. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    As long as you have Monk on your mind, as the name of your band suggests, DB is not going to be too hard for you.

and, like Mike :cool: says:

" if you pick up a woodwind or brass whatever, you ain't going to make much of any worthwhile noise out of it for some time "

so happy new year from up above
  6. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    wow i just played my first DB.....very very intimidating