Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DB359 damaged during shipment. Now what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Ebay horror story unfolding ... Won a DB359 mounted in an Oddyssey 4U ATA case. Arrived today via FedEx Ground. Cardboard box a bit tattered, but I've seen worse. Not double boxed, but the unit is in an ATA case which looks brand new. Totally immaculate. I open the front cover. OH MY GOD!!! The face plate is horribly bent on both sides -- 1/4 inch or so. Rack handles pointing in at a 15 degree angle. Box was obviously dropped and there was no support at the back to relieve the strain on the front cover. I call the shipper (Portland Music). They claim that they cannot initiate the claim, and I must do so. The simplest thing for me to do would be to send it back to them anyway, and have them reverse the charge on my card (via PayPal). Is this the right thing to do. Is Portland Music correct that they cannot initiate the claim?

Would greatly appreciate any wisdom you may have on this?

2. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Apologies for the hysterical post. The way this has turned out is that Portland Music is initiating the claim, FedEx will pick up the damaged goods tomorrow, and my credit card charges will be reversed shortly thereafter. Still disappointed though. Good price, nice rack. On the bright side, I can reevaluate my head choice. I have heard of other similar DB359 damages, and I think you do have to regard this as a design defect in the head. I don't see any provision for attachment to rear rails, which I think would be a minimal requirement to keep this kind of problem from occurring.

3. At least you found out how fragile it can be.
    Better than dropping in out of the van before a gig.

4. I had a similar experience.

I bought a used DB-359 in a 4 space SKB from G Guitars in a deal that included shipping. They shipped it to Hawaii by USPS without any packing or support inside. It came with the rack ears bent.

GG wouldn't respond after the first phone call & email. That's the last time they get my business.

I got a quote from Aguilar on a new face plate, but after I successfully removed the front plate I found it pretty easy to straighten and re-install it.

The amp always worked great and it's built like a tank except it needs some rear suport.

Aloha,

Jonathan

5. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Jonathan: Small world. Just returned from Maui. I'm in a quandry at this point. FedEx did not pick the unit up yesterday, and if they don't this afternoon, then I have the luxury of reassessing what I want to do over the weekend. I don't have a cab to test it with right now, but I could go down to Guitar Center and pick one up with the intention of returning it after my GS210 arrives. The current plan to just back away from the deal is the obvious thing, but I may have to wait a long time, or forever, for as good a deal. Even if I sink a couple of hundred dollars into repairs, I probably come out ahead. E.G I paid $1251 plus shipping, and the starting bid for the one currently on ebay is $1595. Bass palace wants $1650. Your advice?

6. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Is the one at Bass Palace new??? If it is, I'd snatch it up at $1650. The revised retail for 359's is $3795, and the street price is $2800 - $3000. There are very few left around at the old price. Once they are gone, that's it!! Who's going to spend $3000 on a DB359??

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Believe me, shipping damage has nothing to do with the quality of gear. I had a 410 cab sent to me via UPS a while back. It's hard to imagine how they could have COMPLETELY SHATTERED not just one corner of the cabinet, but TWO. That's right, 3/4" plywood just must not be strong enough anymore...

I had the shipper file a claim and took pictures before UPS picked it up. Replacement cabinet was brand new from Aguilar. Very nice.

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with vanselus because the 359 has to be one of the most 'heavy duty' amps built (imho).
    Telemark, I still see quite a few of these going for $1250 - $1500. If you can be patient(which I am not) i'm sure you'd have no problem finding one. I got mine about 4 months ago for $1175 not even a month old off of www.bassgear.com

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah patience is key. I got mine a couple weeks ago new for $1250

(they're out, no more in stock - or I would have bought them up!)

10. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Rather than back out of the deal, I'm going the FedEx claim damage route. Not sure I've got the patience to wait for one of Vanselus' killer deals to materialize, and I think I will be able to get satisfaction from FedEx or the seller.

11. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Just what I needed to hear ;) UPS brings my GS210 to my door on Wednesday. Fingers and toes crossed.

12. I sold mine for $1500 a while back, after they increased the list price to sky high. Personally, I don't think they are worth that kind of scratch. I paid a grand for it, and at the time that seemed like a lot.

They do sound great, but they are so heavy. I forget the actual weight figures, but mine felt heavier than my Mesa 400+ which sounds just as good and puts out lots more power.

If you have some patience, and there is no other damage, you can remove all the knobs and lights etc. and then unscrew the front panel and use a big, heavy vise with lots of soft padding to straighten the panel. It will take a couple of hours.

The most difficult part was dealing with the pilot light, which comes out the front of the panel. I had to cut the leads and later resolder and heatshrink them.

Aloha,

Jonathan