1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB659 in front of AG500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 24, 2006.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I was thinking about getting an aguilar DB659 preamp to run in front of my AG500 or in the effects loop to get alittle more roundness and low-mid range grunt. Also to get a slight low end boost. I have owned the 659 before and regret selling it. I figure that with this pairing, I will still have the lightweight, 2 channel setup with more of the aguilar tube sound. What do youy guys think? Anybody have one used for sale?

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, I just bought a new one a nice discount. I 'll let you guys know how the experiment works out. I will still take suggestions though.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'd be interested in knowing how it works out.

but then i usually leave drool stains on anything with Aguilar written on it. :)

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I'm hoping they will work together but if not, I will try using the DB659 into the power section of the Ag500 for some gigs and see if it cuts for me. If the DB659 head been designed with a 4 band active eq in the first place like the ag500 it would be my holy grail of preamps.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Where did you get it? I'm looking for one also.

-Mike

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Low down sound had a new floor model. Im not even going to tell you how much I got it for but it's alot more like the old price.

7. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I have had a AG-500sc since last summer, and it is a great amp head and your idea about adding the DB659 is a good one. I have done the same thing with an Aguilar DB680 and it is incredible !!!
    When I got mine I called Dave Boonshoft at Aguilar and he told me the best way to connect it. He said to take the output of the DB680 preamp and go into the effects return of the AG500sc. Then the effects return volume becomes the master volume. And by the way I discovered that deep switch on the AG500sc still effects the signal connecting it up this way and the deep tone is massive.

I know that this way you dont really get to use two channels but that is the way Dave B said to connect it up. I really dont know if you would overdrive the input of the AG500 by putting the DB659 directly into the front of the amp head or not. I would contact Aguilar and ask them they are great guys to talk to.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks for the advice. I have hooked up other preamps like this before. I'll keep you posted.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i used to route an Ampeg SVP-CL into the effects return of a Super Redhead. it sounded great.