1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DB659 problem??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzmcs, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jazzmcs

jazzmcs

Feb 26, 2009
    So I've been tweaking my gear a lot lately and have really got the tone nearly perfect. Lots of gain on the DB659 (just before clipping), bright and deep switches on, and most importantly take a couple db out of the bass knob to keep it from getting to much upper low end through my already bumped AE410. Thanks for all the help on this guys :) It's a real nice juicy characteristic tone now.

Through all this time really paying attention to the preamp I have found a possible problem. When I start up the preamp, like any tube amp, it takes about 3 seconds to warm up to full volume. This is when it sounds a fuzzy distortion. It happens like this: For the first second upon a cold start it sounds quiet and clean like it should warming up, the second second it sounds fuzzy/distorted, and then it pushes to full volume and comes clean again. The amount of fuzzyness varies each time I power up from barely audible to very noticable. I have not had a gig since I discovered this problem but the distorted sound does not seem to come back while playing. It only seems to happen during the preamp warm up stage. Could this mean that the tubes are going bad? Any other idea what might be going wrong? I have tried different cables, preamps, basses, poweramps, and speakers. So it is isolated to the preamp. My Demeter for example definitely does not do this when warming up played through all the same gear.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    How any piece of tube gear sounds when it is warming up and has yet to reach both operating temperature and stability is immaterial. Tubes can take up to 30-40 seconds to warm up fully. If the unit works as it should once it has stabilized you have no worries. Comparing circuit A to circuit B during warm up is again immaterial.

Paul

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 Seems like it's working, no need to worry.

4. jazzmcs

jazzmcs

Feb 26, 2009
    Really? This does surprise me since both my Demeter and old SWR preamp warmed up smoothly from inauduble to full volume in about 3 seconds with no period of distortion. Certainly right now it is working fine after warming up but I'd hate it to go down on my in the middle of a gig. Any other opinions on this?

5. My DB680 makes a very gentle hiss for a few seconds, then stays quiet as a mouse. I let it warm up for a few mins, just to be safe.
    Sounds like your amp is fine.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    There y' go - You are worrying about something that does not exist!

Hey wonky cat, how is MerseySide these days? Hoping to get back to the 'Pool for a visit this summer!

Paul

7. jazzmcs

jazzmcs

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm Ok with that, thanks guys:cool: