1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DB750 and three 112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi
    Anybody know the ideal way to connect THREE single 112 cabs all 8ohms to a DB750 or M6 for that matter... Probably two cabs daisy'd and the third on it's own connector... ?

I want to try a configuration consisting of THREE 12" drivers.
    I wouldn't mind having one cab with 2-12's and a single cab with 1-12. My brand of choice which is Bergantino does not make 212 box in the AE or HS. I would like a completely vertical arrangement so the only way would be Jim's AE112's or his HT/EX cabs currently. I know there are other contenders out there too.

I love my AE410 but lust for 12's and I think that three 12's stacked vertically would kill with my DB750. Anyway the AE410 ain't going anywhere anytime soon in case you're wondering...

2. Does that head goes down to 2 ohm?

Three 8 ohm cabs = 2.67 ohms

Unless your amp has dual power amps, using an output jack or daisy chaining the cabs won't change anything. Both outputs are wired in parallel in the head and the same is true for the cabs.

3. if the DB750 or M6 are 2 ohm stable i would just get 3 x 112 (8 ohm) and daisy chain, it'll be between 2 and 4 ohms which would be fine for a 2 ohm stable amp, or i'd get a 4 ohm 2x12 and a 8 ohm 1x12 so each driver sees 8 ohm... if these are 4 ohm amps you'd have to run an 8 ohm 2x12 with an 8 ohm 1x12, the 1x12 would get more watts and possibly be louder

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Three things:D

1) To your specific question, any combination of speaker cable out of the amp and daisy chaining will be identical. So, no issue there, as long as the 12's you are considering have two speakon in/outs. (of course, speakon to 1/4" is no problem either, but it isn't as cool:smug:)

2) I'm sure you know this, but IMO there is no 12" tone versus 10" tone. There is just as much variation in tone among 12" cabs as there is among 10" cabs, and I would give anyone a free roast beef sandwich and a beer if they could identify driver size on a blind basis.

3) You are much better off going with three individual 12's if you do this. It is rare that you would find a 212 that would have the same identical voicing as 2 x 112. It's always, in general, better to couple 'identical' cabs.

That all being said, three DB 112's and a 750 would put a smile on my face if the DB750 was 'your tone'. I surely wouldn't want to carry that 175+ pound rig around, but that would be another discussion.

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    My vote.......daisy chain all three. I think if you split it up one side will see more power than the other resulting in an "un-even" balance of sound.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

This is incorrect. With a monoblock head like the DB750, the outputs from the amp are parallel, and IDENTICAL to the in/outs on a speaker cab. Any way you hook three cabs up (two out of the amp, the third daisy chained, one out of the amp, the second and third daisy chained) will be literally identical.

Edit: this is assuming three 8ohm 112's, or a 4ohm 212 and 8ohm 112. In these cases, all drivers will see the same power, regardless of the hook-up method. Either of the above will result in a 2.67 total nominal impedance, resulting in about 275 watts or so from the DB750 into each of the drivers (either the three 112's or the 8ohm 112 and 4ohm 212).

7. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Answers
    Yes the DB750 and M6 are 2ohm ready.
    Yes, the load would be 2.66 or 2.67 somewhere in that range.

Ken, I agree with the same brand/type theory too. I didn't think about the voicing part so ya bravo on that one. I'm just tossing ideas around as usual. I didn't feel like fishing for the speaker hook up threads but read some place the somebody's opinion was don't hook them all three but like you said it should come out to the same impedance. I would probably use both connectors on the amp though just chaining two cabs.

Actually, what I'm more likely to do than anything is possibly pick up two 112's as an alternative to my 410. I've got the small gigs covered with my 4ohm 115+ and I really don't need any other cabs..... :rolleyes: I was not a DB112 fan and had one for a very short while, but it was koo.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've recently moved to primarily playing a 212 cab versus my beloved 410. I get about 80% of the volume and low end in 60% of the size and weight. That's a pretty good trade-off, since I rarely push my 410's to their max, and I still have the 410 for really big rooms or outside playing.

9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I stand corrected:bassist:

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

PS A DB750 pumping into two 115L+ (4ohm) cabs. You've got to be kidding thinking about little piss-ant 112 cabs. Get another one of those bad boys and sell everything else:D:p

I'm serious:cool:

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:) Being a fanatic about this stuff is nothing to be particularly proud of:D I'm the king of esoterica!

13. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Nice rig, thanks for your input too!

14. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    It's good to be King, but is it lonely at the top ? :D

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Thanks,
    I have been very happy with the in line vertical array. I get a better idea of what the audience is hearing and with the speakers closer to my ears, I am able to blend in the mix better and still hear myself. (there was a small learning curve to re-adjust EQ) I got rid of my last 410 cab about 3 years ago.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1

17. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm one PJB 4B away from a vertical stack of three '12s' with my DB750. I know it's not the same, but it's not too far off.

Now if I could only get a gig in which to try them out. :(

18. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Hi Dean,
    PM "svtb15" I believe he ran a DB750 w/ GS112 X3 for a bit.

Cheers,
    Kevin

19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've had a silly idea running around my head about two or three DB112s, that being since they have a square footprint @ 19" one of the cabs in the stack could be turned 90° to face the drummer and the stack would still be straight.

yeah, I know, shut up and get a gig...

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    THAT would be flippin' awesome... i tried a pair of gs112's pushed to their limits w/ the 750, and it was glorious. would love to hear THREE!

heck, you should start a new "club", biggie... "three cabs R US"!