1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB750 compared to SVT CL or 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Ive been gassin' lately for all tubes....:bawl:

I currently have a DB750, and was wondering what the tonal differences are between the three.

I currently use a gs410 (4ohm), but am looking into a NV610.
    I play all kinds of tunes from pop, funk,rock,country ect, just no metal or jazz, and I don't do the uber bright and scooped slap stuff, just some 70's stlye slapin' if I do.

I'm looking for a great "creamy" CLEAN sound. I'm not into distortion, or overdriven crunch, just a nice clean but thick tone.

Are either of these all tube amps going to do this for me, or am I better off keeping the DB750?

2. Also interested in this thread. I have a YBA 200 and have been gassing over a DB750 for a while now.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Well, if you want tubes and a good, clean and LOUD sound, go for the 400+ without a doubt. The SVT-CL is alright and pretty ballsy, but it gets crunchy fast when you turn it up. the Aguilar is extremely clean, but the 400+ is nearly as clean, somewhat louder, and very thick and punchy.

4. Louder!!!:eek: I can't even fathom louder than the DB750.

5. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    you should hear the 400+ through 2 810e's...the mesa is crazy loud

6. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Maybe it would be cool (if you can be without that much money for a while) to buy the 400+ second hand and compare the two extensively and then keep the one you love most!

7. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    if you're looking into a nv610, the mesa 400+ would make for an AWESOME combination.

8. Having been a Mesa 400+ and NV610 owner, I can say that the combo is probably one of the sweetest sounding bass amps that I've played, however, if you dig clean, I'd stick with the DB750.

For some reason, nothing can touch the Aguilar in my opinion, and that's coming from a tube lover.

9. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    I have a feeling the DB750 with the NV610 would be killer. I'd get the NV610 first, then go from there, if necessary.

10. that's kind of what I was thinking of doing, but dang GAS has me wanting all sorts of things. ;)

11. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I can't believe i'm the first person to suggest a DB728!
    It absolutely shreds.

12. I'd love that IF I COULD FIND ONE. Then the issue of buying a pre as well.

13. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Just love the same thing as you.. Creamy Clean sound..
    Ive gone from a ampeg classic to a Sunn 300T to a Aguilar 750.. and Im extreamly happy with it...

14. SoLongJake

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    grab one of these, and kiss your tube woes goodbye.
    DSC00052.

15. SoLongJake

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    One other thing that i'll add is that the Aguilar Agro paired with the DB750 can get pretty damn close to sounding like its tube brethren.
    DSC00053.

16. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    You are not into the tube overdriven sound at all, so I don't think you are going to top the DB750 for your needs with either the 400+ or the CL. Just keep in mind that if you decide to go from a GS410 to a NV610, that the 610 is a sealed cab and will sound inherently different. I am sure it would sound sick with the DB750, but if you can I'd try it out first. Keep the 750.

17. I had the SVT-cl and the Mesa 400+, and now I'm using the DB750. I used ALL 3 amps with a Bergantino NV215. The svt-cl was NOT my thing at all! The 400+ was very nice, loud, clean and creamy, but at too low of volumes, it was too clean, and too high, it broke up too much for my liking. At the perfect volume, it was tonal nirvana, but I play in a cover band, and I need to play at different volumes at different venues with different bands, and I also needed more tonal variety. The DB750 is IT! Loud, very ballsy(CA9 type of balls) with a tubey/warm but clean and creamy type of tone that seems to just cuts thru anything but sit very well in the mix. It's very tweakable, with the right cab and bass, as well. So, for the cover band thing, it works great.

18. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm not saying you're doing it, but I think a common misconception is that people who want tube amps want it just because they can overdrive the power tubes. It takes a lot of volume to overdrive the power tubes, and a lot of us never get even close to the volume it takes. There's a huge group of tube users who never try to get distorted sounds at all.

19. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Isn't the DB750 hybrid or am I missing something.

20. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    For what that amp costs, it better sound good!