DB750 first impressions + few ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Just got my DB750 and have only experimented with my El Whappo so far, have an outsider this coming weekend. It sounds very very very good in my practice room. As always... the test for me is on the job. More to come.

BTW, I've racked this amp in a SKB19-4U which is identical to my Demeter/CA9 rig case. It's a bit bulky but I'm used to it and find the protection and ease of use very good. The only thing about the DB750 is it's a bit front heavy so the lift is unbalanced. That has nothing to do with the case just an observation, (my 400+ was the same way)

Anyhoo, the amp of course runs a little hotter compared to being un-racked vs. ina' nice rack... :smug: I usually carry one or two handy-dandy Auralex Gramma pads for various uses one being under the amp rig atop the cab for extra dampining which I think is always a good thing. I just wonder if anyone else regularly practices this or do feel the amp being racked and sort of suspended is enough. I'm short ... and the El Whappo on casters plus the Gramma make it a pretty high lift for my old body...not a big deal just curious.

(Also, I think rack bags are great for lighter gear but the DB750 seems a bit heavy for a bag and rack tuner).
    My new rig/rack is 60# including all the cables.

I rarely take the EW off the casters because the bottom end is so huge, there is never a need so far. In fact I usually cut a little bass eq on inside gigs.... but on outside... oh Momma.

Also, the DB750 is a very sexy looking amp, the only thing I would change is moving the on/off switch to the front and moving the XLR to the back out of the way, or at least just put the xlr in the back...

PS, I only accomplished shaving off about 12lbs. in comparison to my Demeter/CA9 rig. This is not much and not the only reason I bought the DB750. It definatley has a different vibe than the Dem/Crest, and that's I wanted, both are fabulous. :D
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Very interesting to hear your initial impressions. I was playing outside yesterday with my rig (about 500 guests to private party) and there was absolutely no reason to put me through the FOH. Tone was huge and phat.

I do the GRAMMA on the bottom of the cabinet thing and on top as well. I never worried about this with all solid state stuff, but once I started using my 680, then now my 750, I figure the more I can keep my tubes from vibrating the better, even if they are only preamp tubes. It can't hurt!

My cabinet is always played off the casters and on the pad. They're off for rattling reasons, not for any other reason. The less jiggly metal, the better. The only I want jiggling is the dancing patrons in front of me.

I agree with you about the power switch location, don't care about the XLR, and worry that the power switch is plastic, but I don't hear any people complaining that theirs are falling off, so.......
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've been playing mine at practices with just a 2 X 10 neo LDS, ( my 410 is for sale) and have no trouble keeping up with a Fender Deluxe and a Boogie. Big fat sound coming out of that little Cab, I'm adding a neo 2 X 12 to the rig, CAN'T WAIT.
  4. Big String;

I just got mine yesterday and will spend a lot of time today to tweak and experiment with it. Naturally, the final test will be in a live environment; but I agree with you, the first impression is excellent; the eq. section is simple and logical, I'm more a "plug and play" guy, and the amp definitely looks sexy :)
    More to come soon.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... the on/off switch on mine is in the front. Very strange. How old is yours?

Having the XLR in front doesn't really bother me. I put a right-angle XLR on my patch cord, and configured it so it goes off at about a 45-degree angle up and to the right. Then I put a little loop clip on the top right corner of the rack case to hold the cable out of the way.

Mine's in a SKB 6-space ATA case, and it is indeed heavy and bulky. I haven't noticed any excessive heat. I just set the rack right on top of my cabinet and don't lose a minute's sleep over it. I've been doing this for many years with all my hybrid heads with no problems. Think about it. I've never seen a combo with a shock-mounted head.
  6. The on/off switch on mine is also on the rear, the mute switch is in the front, and mine is brand new. It doesn't bother me since the switch is easily accessible, because my 3 space rack isn't that deep. The fans are very quiet, have been running it now for 2 hours and the amp doesn't get hot so far.
  7. Thanks Gents I appreciate the feedback.
    Munj, mine is a 2005 or there about. I got it from Joel at the
    http://www.thegrooveshoppe ...Thanks Joel ! He told me he got it in April of this year, so mine is a newer one. Like Jorg, mine had the mute in front and power on/off in the back. I'm also suprised it's plastic..everything else is bullet proof. I guess I should have stated that mine doesn't run hot but is of course is 'warmer' in the rack.

Kjones, I only took my casters off once because my rig looked like it might roll down the guys driveway at a big private party shindig. It really didn't sound any different to me with the casters off. As far as the Gramma between the amp and cab it couldn't hurt and I've been doing that for a long time.

I acutally wedged a couple of the 3/4" rubber feet you find on some cab bottoms under my DB750 inside the case in the rear for a little extra support since there is no rear racking hardware. Seems to make it even more stable.

Anyone ever experitment with the tubes in their DB750?
    I might get some backups and thought I'd fish for some experience with this amp.
  8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I replaced the stock tubes with Electro Harmonix and noticed a nice improvement to a tone that was already great. It was also a bit louder.
  9. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Congrats, BigString! ;) ....I'm thinking of buying one of those DB750's myself, but owning a T-funk, I'm a bit concerned that the difference isn't that big as Tommixx has indicated in a previous test...would love to hear your opinion.
  10. Yet another congratulations, BigString! I too have the power switch on the back... so I guess the early ones were different in this regard. As far as setup, I'm using the same DB750 + El Whappo AND the trusty gramma pad. As far as I'm concerned, a little isolation is probably a good thing. Enjoy responsibly!
  11. Or crank it up and enjoy irresponsibly! :D
  12. Don't have one (yet), but the one I tried no more than a month ago had the on/off switch in the back.
  13. Congrats Big String!! Glad you are digging it so far....Same here for me....Power in rear and mute on front......

jacove...they both have their place but if I HAD to pick one or the other I would take the T-Funk without hesitation...the T-Funk is about a third the weight and half the cost.......gets REALLY close to the 750 but can't quite match the size of the sound which to me, is an intangible that I attribute to the tube stage and greater headroom....they are both GREAT amps and both Daves deserve a BIG hats off......these are by far my 2 favorite amps.....

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ooops! My mistake. I leave my on/off switch on all the time (it is in the back), and turn the rig on from the Furman in front. I was mistaking the mute switch for the power switch.
  15. Thanks for chimes and congrats gang. :D

I'll be flippin' the coin on the responsible vs. irresponsable thang for sure... :bassist:

Did you replace the 12AU7 with an EH too? I believe currently Ag is using Sovteks (New Sensor) which are obviously pretty darn good. I'm most confident they choose tubes very carefully. I've had good luck with EH in my previous 400+ amps. They are as you hinted, pretty hot. I do believe Demeters come with EH's also. I'm also pretty impressed with the JJ 12ax7 for a modern production tube. I don't know if it would be worth popping for NOS tubes someday. Too early to tell. I'm sure somtime I will try another modern brand too see how they sound then choose one for the 'back-up' set.

Can't wait till Saturdays' gig.
  16. Big,

How would you describe the sound of the DB750 with the El Whappo versus the the 750 with an Aggie cab? I would imagine that it is the perfect combination of color and hi-fi.

Sure sounds good when Nathan East uses that combo!
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    once i get me some roadies, i'll be more than happy to add a DB750 to mon arsenal. :cool:

good stuff, Biggie. just be sure to keep it down around 12am, cause that's when i usually sleep. :p
  18. Bernie
    I haven't played the Aggie cabs except for a GS112 a few years back. The El Whappo sounds great with what ever you hook it up with. I guess you could say the 750's vibe adds some color for sure. I wouldn't call it 'wooly' as I've read. I got plenty of the clear transparent tone with other gear, craved some SVT on steroids tone for something different. ( it's a sickness) Ya, anything Nathan E touches is magical anyway. I didn't know he was using a 750 ... cool.

Joker... LOL... you live up to your handle.
  19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, the 12AU7 is already an EH while the 12AX7's are Sovtek's. I think the EH's are much warmer with a better lowend and smoother treble. It's quite a noticable difference when switching tubes in this amp due to the fact that there are so many in there. When I say so many I'm comparing to most other hybrid's out there with only one tube. I've owned my 750 for a little while now and still feel it's the best non-all tube amp ever made.
    On a side note: I also had the opportunity recently to compare it to a TF and while the TF sounds very good it really doesn't come close to the robust tone of the 750. At low volumes they can be somewhat similar but at gig level there's no comparison.
  20. Sounds great. I might have to head out to your gig Saturday and check out the tone for myself. :)

Yeah, Nathan is using a DB750 with an El Whappo and a GS410. He has that rig on the Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival DVD if you'd like to check it out. Incredible sounding.